• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Clapton To Auction Off Guitars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

For those of you with money to burn. From the Austin-American Statesman:

Rocker Eric Clapton will auction off 56 guitars from his collection on June 24th at Christie's in New York.

"I am selling the cream of my collection. What I am keeping back is just what I need to work with," he said.

The proceeds from the sale will go to the Crossroads Centre in Antigua, which helps people wrestling with chemical dependency.

On June 24, 1999, Christie's sold the first part of Clapton's collection.

"These guitars are in fact the ones I kept back from the first auction because I seriously couldn't consider parting with them at that point," he said.

Among the items up for bids is "Blackie", a circa-1956 composite Fender Stratocaster that Clapton says "has become a part of me."

Estimated at between $100,000 and $150,000, it is one of a kind, as Clapton assembled it himself from the components of three Stratocasters bought in Nashville in 1970.

Also up for sale are guitars from the Who's Pete Townsend, as well as others from Brian May of Queen, J.J. Cale and B.B. King.

Capt. Bacardi

Wake me up when they get down to auctioning of his guitar pic's (the cheapest ones). I might be able to afford one...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom