• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Collecting JOE JACKSON

Status
Not open for further replies.

beatcrazy

Hello everyone!

As this is my first post here, I'd like to introduce myself. I'm a guy from Germany, who is collecting records and (almost) everything by JOE JACKSON for about 25 years now. This summed up to probably one of the world's largest collections of "The Man", with hundreds of different single and album pressings on vinyl, CD and even some odd cassettes. I also collect memorabilia such as press kits, ticketstubs, posters, backstage passes and so on. As JJ was an A&M artist from the first record under his name in 1978 until 1989, this means that the vast majority especially of my vinyl collection is on the A&M label - and that's why I'm here.

There have always been surprises and mysteries in the many years of collecting and even in times of internet, there are still a lot of unanswered questions I have. Perhaps you A&M experts can help? Thank you very much in advance.

I'll start of with a favorite rarity that I proudly own - a US pressing of "Body And Soul" (SP-5000) on yellow vinyl! Until recently, I was sure that this must be a one-off, as it never appeared in any discopraphies. But I saw a second copy of it on ebay and now wonder, how many of these records were actually pressed? Does anyone know more about this?

The second thread I'd like to throw in, is about a number of 12" singles, that I saw listed in discographies, but never ever came across in all those years. My guess is, that those records may have been planned, perhaps even exist somewhere as test pressings, but were never issued, not even as promos. Those are the ones I read about:
SP-17101 I'm The Man
SP-17139 Mad At You / Beat Crazy
and from the UK catalog
AMY 481 (He's A) Shape In A Drape / Speedway / Showtime In Chicago
AMY 512 Down To London / You Can't Get What You Want...(live)
AMY 583 Steppin' Out / Sentimental Thing / (It's A) Big World
Has someone ever seen one of these?

There's more to come, but that's it for now. Thanks for reading!

P.S.: Of course I'll gladly answer your questions about JJ's work and record pressings, if I can.

All of a sudden three threads on the top active discussions mention Joe Jackson. Makes you wonder sometimes...

beatcrazy,

The A&M SP17xxx series was 12" (with a few exceptions) promotional records; promotionals are aimed primarily at radio station distribution for airplay and the occaisional premium (freebie/gift/bonus) item. As stated the AMY prefix is UK pressings. Most of us on the staff focus primarily on US A&M releases, but we DO have a large european audience and some of them may be ablke to help in that regard...

And welcome to A&M Corner! Looking foraward to your contributions and JJ discussion, as I'm a fan of The Man myself! My two fave items in my collection are the 2-10" of Look Sharp (A&M SP4666) and the 5-7" of I'm The Man (A&M SP18000)

Thank you, Mr. Bill.

Your mentioned two fave items are nice indeed, but rather common with collectors. Regarding rare US pressings, I'd like to point out, that the stock copy of the "I'm The Man" 7" b/w "Come On" (A&M 2209-S) is by far rarer than the mono/stereo promo of the same title. I always wondered, why? Was it withdrawn? Testpressings of that (promo) title have the matrix number A&M 02186, a number, which is connected with the title "It's Different For Girls" (also with the b-side "Come On"). Confusing...
Another major US rarity is the picture sleeve for the single "One To One" (A&M 2276-S). This is extremely hard to find.

I'm not much into the rarities, but overall I like much of what JJ has recorded. My recent favorite has been Will Power. I may be one of the half dozen fans of that album on the planet. :laugh:

I do wish I had seen the Quartet reunion gigs several years ago...had the chance, but nobody else wanted to brave the crowds (it was at a dumpy club in a bad neighborhood) or even liked Jackson's music all that much.

A&M does have some good pressings of his albums on vinyl, so I have been seeking those out. Also keeping an eye open for Night and Day on MoFi...just to have a good clean copy. Still kicking myself for not holding onto my original vinyl of that one.

Which Joe Jackson album was the "three sided" one? It had two LPs but one was only recorded on the A side. I had a hard time explaining that one to customers!

That was Big World. My friend Chris in Ohio sent that one to me about a year ago, as I only had it on CD since original release date. Now that I have the LP, I can understand why Jackson insisted on three sides--each side was a "program" or "suite" of similar songs. Nice pressing though--quiet, and sounds quite good with full dynamics and some of that digital hardness is gone.

I bet not many here had the 8" Laserdisc with four performances from this album... :laugh: Still have it in storage here.

My Pat Metheny Orchestrion LP is three-sided, and the fourth side is completely blank like a mirror. I have some one-sided Casablanca 12" singles, but they have a faint groove cut into the opposite side. The JJ Big World also has a spiral cut in it--this is reportedly to help get a more consistent pressing. (The Metheny is on 180g vinyl, so it is possible they don't need it at that heavier weight.)

An original quote of Joe Jackson regarding the Big World album goes like this: "It's not a double album with one side missing, it's a single album with an extra side! So it's a very good deal."

This is certainly true for all vinyl issues around the globe. Except South Africa! They pressed all 15 songs on a single vinyl LP (A&M AMLS 66021)!

An original quote of Joe Jackson regarding the Big World album goes like this: "It's not a double album with one side missing, it's a single album with an extra side! So it's a very good deal."

:laugh: That sounds familiar!

This is certainly true for all vinyl issues around the globe. Except South Africa! They pressed all 15 songs on a single vinyl LP (A&M AMLS 66021)!

K-Tel used to press compilation albums that had as many as eight to ten songs per side--I have one by the Tijuana Brass I picked up for $1 many years ago that may have had 10 songs per side. And I have a Kenny Rogers LP of his hits that also gets maybe eight per side. In both cases, the bass is really shaved off quite a bit to make all those grooves fit on one side of an LP.

I don't know if this has been mentioned somewhere before, but I found a fantastic - and growing - site about 45s/7" singles on the web. I have recently updated the Joe Jackson worldwide discography and included all known records (almost 230 singles on A&M!!!) and picture sleeves (front & back). There are still many label scans missing, but nevertheless it's already an excellent source for all vinyl and label lovers - and for every other artist as well!
Here's the link: www.45cat.com
Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom