Concert Sergio Mendes March 20 1977

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aqua do Brasil

Dear Forum Members,

The 20th of march 1977 concert was my first Sergio Mendes concert experience in The Hague, The Netherlands.

Sergio Mendes and the New Brasil ‘77 line-up with 7 musicians, 3 singers and 3 dancers/percussion players on stage.

Rapidly Sergio run onto the stage in a slimfitted black suit with green shirt and Sergio and the band started with an spacy/fiery heavely syntheziser orientated version of Mas Que Nada followed by Emorio (from the 1975 Elektra release ‘Homecooking’).

After ‘Emorio’ Sergio announcend a new song ‘The Real Thing, We just recorded it’...he mentionend.
This was the first time I‘ve heard The Real Thing ’ and it was live.
This was 2 months before of the Elektra Records release of ‘Sergio Mendes and the New Brasil 77.

The New Brasil 77 was a soulful/disco orientated band with 2 drummers (David Hall and Ronald Ballard) and the famous percussionist Chacal (played later in the awesome Paul Simon band along with Michael Brecker and the Brazilian master percussionist Cyro Baptista), and Donald Ballard on bass and 3 additional dancers percussionists (Testa, Bibiu and Dico).
Singers: Marrietta waters, Carol Jeanne Rogers and Cruz Baca (at that time wife of Michael Sembello (Stevie Wonders guitarist).
And of course the one and only Brazilian legend Oscar Castro Neves on acoustic and electric guitars.

P.S. I discovered Sergio Mendes through my musician neighbour
Mr.Rene Landes who let me listen to the album ‘Live at the Matador’ (Brasil’65) from 1965 at the age of 15 years and ever since I was totally hooked by his music.

all the best ,
Aqua do Brasil (AKA Sjef Nix)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom