• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Dan Fogelberg Illness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

Billboard reports that singer/composer Dan Fogelberg had to cancel his current tour because he has been diagnosed with prostate cancer. He has a statement about it at his website www.danfogelberg.com. While I'm not a big Fogelberg fan I do enjoy his collaboration with A&M alum Tim Weisberg on their Twin Sons Of Different Mothers album.

Capt. Bacardi
...who gets a yearly prostate exam online... :o

Dan Fogelberg's Greatest Hits is all I have ever had in my collection. But I wish Dan a very speedy and successful recovery, too!

Dave

Fogelberg's first three or four albums were very good folk/rock. When he hit it big with the ballad "Longer," he jumped the shark into total schmaltz territory. But his early albums up through NETHER LANDS each contain some minor masterpieces, and the Cap'n is right about the TWIN SONS album, it's a nice change of pace.

Dave, you're cheating yourself with that GREATEST HITS album -- add the SOUVENIRS album to your collection.

Hope he gets better but it sounds like a rough road ahead for him. Very sad.

OK, I'll give you that his music DID get increasingly "schmaltzy" over the years [if you listen to his 1982 greatest-hits album, "Part of the Plan" - which is an extremely underrated song - sounds REALLY out of place alongside his later material], but I still love it! [I think I have all of his 45s from "Part of the Plan" through 1985's "Go Down Easy".] "Hard to Say" and "Make Love Stay" are definitely two of my favorites of his.
And he never FULLY lost his rock sound; you never hear it on the radio anymore - which is a shame, 'cause I think it's a really, really awesome song and one I wish I'd written myself - but his final Top 40 hit (1984's "The Language of Love") WAS an uptempo rocker (with an electric-guitar solo, too). Great record.

Get well, Dan!

Jeff F.
NP: Dan Fogelberg "The Language of Love"

Did anyone know that Dan Fogelberg lists SERGIO MENDES as one of his main musical influences? THIS IS A FACT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom