Dating Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenny

The recent Old Navy "Dating Game" commercials have me wondering if the music other than Spanish Flea on the show was the Tijuana Brass or a band that sounds similliar to them. Does anyone know?

Olé,
Kenny

I am quite certain that I remember hearing Lollipops and Roses, and Whipped Cream played on the old Dating Game TV show.

These were, in fact, Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass.

Just another comment - I am sure I remember seeing Tonni Kalash as a contestant on the old Dating Game TV show once a long, long time ago - back around 1969 maybe. Anyone else remember that?

The song in the commerical isn't Spanish Flea or Lollipops and Roses. It might actually be the Dating Game theme. I don't know. It definitely has a TJB sound to it.

kenny said:
The song in the commerical isn't Spanish Flea or Lollipops and Roses. It might actually be the Dating Game theme. I don't know. It definitely has a TJB sound to it.

Yes, that's the Dating Game theme, composed by producer Chuck Barris. Early on, The Dating Game used the Tijuana Brass music as its themes, then for no apparent reason, the new theme appeared. Perhaps the thrifty Mr. Barris didn't want to pay the licensing fee anymore...

Harry
...remembering daytime TV in the '60s, online...

Harry said:
Perhaps the thrifty Mr. Barris didn't want to pay the licensing fee anymore...

Following in his the spirit of his autobiography, CONFESSIONS OF A DANGEROUS MIND, the Barris-penned theme song probably contained some secret codes for killing spies for the CIA. Mac,who read that book 20 years ago and was quite surprised to see that it was made into a movie last year.

Harry said:
Perhaps the thrifty Mr. Barris didn't want to pay the licensing fee anymore...

Possible. Also, remember that back in those days, ABC (which aired The Dating Game) was the 'poor' sister among the "Big Three" networks (in prime-time, way behind leader CBS and coulda-been contender NBC in the ratings), and it seems that any effort to save money in any which way possible was appreciated. Note also that ABC was the last of the major networks to commit fully to color television -- it wasn't until c.1967-68 that viewers began to see daytime shows (not only TDG but also Mr. Barris's other production The Newlywed Game), and also programs at other "earlier" times of the day (most notably Dick Clark's American Bandstand), in color. ABC's prime-time schedule, of course, became 100% color effective with the 1966-67 season -- and such commitment only added to the costs of broadcasting for ABC. Come to think of it, ABC was also the last to do color programming, period -- the first color show aired on the network way back in 1962!

For the source of the 'Dating Game' theme, one goes to the AMG website to look up New Orleans R&B legend, Allen Toussaint. He wrote 'Whipped Cream' in 1963 and released it with his band The Stokes on a 45 (Alon 9010). According to AMG, 'Whipped Cream' was "covered by Herb Alpert in 1965 for an instrumental hit, which was in turn adopted as the theme for TV's 'The Dating Game".
BTW-- Toussaint earlier wrote and recorded what provided fellow Crescent City 'heavyweight' Al Hirt with his biggest hit, 'Java'.

"Java" is quite a catchy tune, for nobody who's ever heard it. I believe it is originally from Hirt's album Honey In The Horn. I bought a two-fer with Honey and Our Man in New Orleans which was a jazz album with, IIRC, Marty Paich directing and arranging.

"The Dating Game" was by Chet Baker and the Mariachi Brass. It was a studio band that laid down their tracks and when Chet was sober enough, he'd come in and put solos over the tracks as he saw fit.

There were three or four records by the group, (I got 'em all. What do you think they'll fetch on E-Bay?) each with a beautiful girl on the cover. The most airplay they got was one called "Flowers On The Wall". They also did the "Chiquita Banana" theme.

By the way, I'll check the record when I get home. But I think The Dating Game appeared on their LP "In The Mood". All the other tracks were Glenn Miller tunes.

Now...any questions about The Brass Ring, Trombones Unlimited, or the Fluegal Knights?

Though I don't own it,Varese Sarabande's CLASSIC TV SHOW THEMES contains the version Chuck Barris has his name on and used for the TV show. Maybe he really did write it-he is writer of record of Freddie "Boom Boom" Cannon's 1962 hit,"Pailsades Park." Mac

Big Noise,

Yes.... what all can you tell me about The Brass Ring? I think the leader was a sax player named Phil Bodner? I always liked their laid back, breezy, sixties, instrumental sound, especially the Phoenix Love Theme and The Disadvantages Of You.

jimac51 said:
Though I don't own it,Varese Sarabande's CLASSIC TV SHOW THEMES contains the version Chuck Barris has his name on and used for the TV show. Maybe he really did write it-he is writer of record of Freddie "Boom Boom" Cannon's 1962 hit,"Pailsades Park." Mac

In my collection of vinyl oddities, I have an album called CHUCK BARRIS PRESENTS THEMES FROM TV GAME SHOWS. It's on something called Friends Records, catalog number SAR 001. Among its tracks are of course "The Dating Game Theme" (both opening and closing), "The Newlywed Game Theme", "Dream Girl" and other themes from very forgettable old shows. Mr. Barris composed all of the themes by himself, but is listed as co-writer of "The Dating Game Theme" with David Mook.

These are all stereo recordings, and though I once thought them to be original, now that I listen more carefully, I realize that these are re-recordings for this album.

Harry
...noting that Chuck Barris hails from Philadelphia (not that we're proud of it), online...

I dunno Harry, I think Mr. Barris is a pretty savvy guy-way smarter than he appears and certainly able to live by one of my tenets that you can never aim too low(Bad taste knows no season). He gave America something that it wanted and did it for a long time. His book is actually lots of fun and fairly well written even if only a few of the things in it actually happened. Hey,why let facts get in the way of a good story. Mac

big noise from chicago said:
"The Dating Game" was by Chet Baker and the Mariachi Brass. It was a studio band that laid down their tracks and when Chet was sober enough, he'd come in and put solos over the tracks as he saw fit.

There were three or four records by the group, (I got 'em all. What do you think they'll fetch on E-Bay?) each with a beautiful girl on the cover. The most airplay they got was one called "Flowers On The Wall". They also did the "Chiquita Banana" theme.

A guy on ebay right now has seven mariachi themed LPs on auction,including two BMBs and Chet's first Mariachi Brass LP-Buy it now for $1.99 + 4.50 freight. Mac

Allright then...

I'm doing a free-writing on this. I'll be away for three days and since I'm actually sitting in downtown Chicago in between City, County, State and Federal buildings, these days I never know if there's going to be anything to come back to on Monday....

Yes it was Phil Bodner with a dual sax (alto over-dubbed?) sound, two trombones and two trumpets and Dick Hyman on organ.

They made several albums on the Dunhill and one on an off-brand label that I can't recall. "Flight of the Pheonix" was the first big record. Then, "Disadvantages of You" coming from a Benson & Hedges cigarette commercial on the third record.

One non-album cut that I finally got on 45 was "Flower Road" which was also done by the Mills Brothers.

Their best LP, in my view, was "Only Love". The arrangements were a little longer..."The Odd Couple", "Rosemary's Baby", and a great cover of a beautiful girl biting a guys lip. I tried that with my girlfriend but drew blood!

The arrangements were all the same. Sax, brass, organ, back to sax. But Bodner had a lovely sound and their records still sound good today.
If there are still "Lounge Music" web sites around, they may have some info on them. They were a good band.

Well. there go the sirens again. I'm grabbing my gas mask and diving under the desk. :wink: ttfa

big noise from chicago said:

-That is something I always wondered about-knew it was not Herb though.
Thanks! :wink:

Your welcome! It's nice to have something to offer once in a while.

I checked that last Brass Ring LP. It was on ITCO records, with liner notes by Steve Allen, and was called "The Evolution of the Brass Ring." It had a nice version of "Stormy", "I'll Never Fall in Love Again", and Nilson's "Don't Leave Me" and others. I've got a whole cabinet full of these "pop" instrumental things and they're fun to pull out now and again.

"The Dating Game Theme" by the Mariachi Brass also came out as a 45 (World Pacific 77863) in 1967.

"Spanish Flea" was used as the background music when the (usually) young woman was introduced, just before she started asking the three bachelors the questions. "Lollipops and Roses" was used as the background music just before the (usually) young woman met the guy she had selected, after the other two had come out. Other Herb Alpert music was used as "bumper music" to lead into commercials.

Tim Neely said:
"The Dating Game Theme" by the Mariachi Brass also came out as a 45 (World Pacific 77863) in 1967.

"Spanish Flea" was used as the background music when the (usually) young woman was introduced, just before she started asking the three bachelors the questions. "Lollipops and Roses" was used as the background music just before the (usually) young woman met the guy she had selected, after the other two had come out. Other Herb Alpert music was used as "bumper music" to lead into commercials.

Not quite...WHIPPED CREAM was played when the girl was introduced.

Dan

And I swear the version of 'Whipped Cream' played for this segment was the original 45 by The Stokes. The tip-off would be AllenToussaint's little piano figure (a six-note couplet) to bridge the trumpet melody stanzas.
Whether the track was licensed by Barris, or royalty paid per broadcast, we'd have to ask Toussaint himself.

snapcrotch said:
And I swear the version of 'Whipped Cream' played for this segment was the original 45 by The Stokes. The tip-off would be AllenToussaint's little piano figure (a six-note couplet) to bridge the trumpet melody stanzas.

Are you sure? Sounds like the TJB to me...

Dan

Then I'll concede the point, as my earlier reference via the AMG site also pointed to TJB as the source. But I'd swear...

Not bad, though, for doing it from 35-plus-year-old memories, eh?

"Spanish Flea" was definitely part of The Dating Game. Was that played just before the (usually) bachelors were introduced to the audience, before the (usually) bachelorette came onstage?

snapcrotch said:
And I swear the version of 'Whipped Cream' played for this segment was the original 45 by The Stokes. The tip-off would be Allen Toussaint's little piano figure (a six-note couplet) to bridge the trumpet melody stanzas.

The piano part of "Whipped Cream" was probably played by Leon Russell, who was part of the "Taste Of Honey" session as well. Hard telling, since there is no definitive list of musicians available.

Capt. Bacardi
NP: TJB - Classics

Tim Neely said:

Not bad, though, for doing it from 35-plus-year-old memories, eh?

"Spanish Flea" was definitely part of The Dating Game. Was that played just before the (usually) bachelors were introduced to the audience, before the (usually) bachelorette came onstage?

Not bad at all...SF was played when there was a single male contestant.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom