• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Did Karen's voice really change from 1971-1975-ish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RainyDays

I remember reading that Richad said that her "husky" voice was in the timeframe of 1969-1971, but is it any different starting in '72?

If this has been posted a million times before I'm sorry, but I just haven't seen it. Here's how I kind of see it (or rather, hear it)...

1965/6-1969: Really deep, gravely, not quite mature Karen

1970-1975: Karen at her richest/fullest voice with the most presence. Some claim that 1973-1975 was her richest vocals (improving on 70-72). I think she reached her richness peak in 1975 -- though I'm sure the new mics and putting Karen's clear voice in front on HORIZON helped -- but I can't quite tell if it starts in 1970 or 1973.

1976-1978: Much lighter register/tone than ever before; almost a whisper occasionally. CP shows her richness, yet has a new lightness (i.e. Merry Christmas, Darling remix) that's not always better. AKOH and Passage introduce this new tone.

1980-1981: Her vocals have lost some of that soul and richness and has become thinner, sadly. Partly her choice, partly her illness (I believe). Also Richard hasn't presented her voice like in the past.

What do you think??

Hi Rainy Days, This is a reply I made to an earlier post and it includes some of my thoughts on Karens singing styles -:

Re Karens softer singing style........ I remember reading that Karen much preferred her soft silky voice which developed around 1974/75. I think is why she re recorded Merry christmas darling and possibly Ticket to ride, although done in 1973.
It is probably a combination of her natural singing voice maturing and also a deliberate change in singing style.
In my view it was Perfect from 1973 in now and then - chocolate smooth vocals but still backed up with some power and 'edge' when needed.
1975 was Horizon when the out and out sultry, silky smooth, heavenly voice appeared - as in opening verse of 'only yesterday', sublime. However, in 1976 for a kind of hush, in my humble opinion!, i feel it went one step too far ...... it became TOO soft. It was almost whispering and AKOH is one of my least favourite albums.
However, in 1977 we got some of the oomph back for Passage. All you get from love is a love song, sweet sweet smile has some 'backbone' to the vocals back again.
1978 A christmas Portrait is magnificent vocally.
BUT Made in America is another turning point - I think sometimes it might be the way it was mixed ( previous thread ), but Karen does sound 'weak' vocally. I 'm not saying she WAS weak, but i feel her vocals were buried in the mix far too much.......... even if they were a bit weaker, if they were brought to the fore more, they wouldn't have 'sounded' weaker!! When tracks recorded around the same time appeared on 'lovelines' album, to me, they didn't sound as weak vocally, so i really do feel it was more to do with mixing than anything else.
For Karens voice to be affected that much that she couldn't sing how she 'wanted' to sing, then i doubt she would have been able to walk about and make it to the studio etc.
I do feel that Karens voice changed from 1975 onwards, but not neccessarily because of her illness, just a natural progression and maturing of her voice.
However, i might be totally wrong .........

Agreed, while Karen's voice/style matured beautifully since "Offering" and through 1974/1975, I believe her vocals grew weaker (especially in the upper register) in her late-1970's/early-1980's recordings. While still lovely, the lower-register/robustness was missing. I read that she may have used ipecac to induce vomiting later in her illness, and I suspect (if true) it may have weakened her vocals.

Agreed, while Karen's voice/style matured beautifully since "Offering" and through 1974/1975, I believe her vocals grew weaker (especially in the upper register) in her late-1970's/early-1980's recordings. While still lovely, the lower-register/robustness was missing. I read that she may have used ipecac to induce vomiting later in her illness, and I suspect (if true) it may have weakened her vocals.

I think at first it was her concious choice to carry on in lower register -- and it became the style she preferred --but I also believe that when she started using the ipecac (I think she did) that thinned her out. That, combined with the fact that Karen wasn't her usual self around 1979-1981; so much drama, heartbreak, and lose of will power revealed itself in her voice. That spark of richness and soul and energy once present, kinda flatlined. Still amazing of course, but there is a difference. Even Randy Schmidt has said that in her last recordings there is just "something" missing in her voice; she phrases, ennunciates, and projects clearly, yet there was an intagible aura of something wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom