Different Version of "Rise"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

Among the CDs I picked up at a recent record show was one of guitarist Russell Malone's album Sweet Georgia Peach, on the Impulse! label. One tune that he does is "Rise", which he does as a soft, slow bossa. It works really well. I'm so used to the funky version of Herb's as well as a couple of DJ dance mixes, so this was a bit of a surprise hearing it like this. Very enjoyable version!

BTW, this is a pretty good jazz CD as well.

Capt. Bacardi

Captain Bacardi said:
Among the CDs I picked up at a recent record show was one of guitarist Russell Malone's album Sweet Georgia Peach, on the Impulse! label. One tune that he does is "Rise", which he does as a soft, slow bossa. It works really well. I'm so used to the funky version of Herb's as well as a couple of DJ dance mixes, so this was a bit of a surprise hearing it like this. Very enjoyable version!

It's funny Captain, but have you ever heard the Muzak version of Rise? It's hilarious!! I find it interesting that most of the time I'll hear actual Alpert tunes (usually his solo material) in airports I'll frequent in the course of my job. However, when it comes to Rise, it's usually the Muzak version...what's up with that?

My brother-in-law, a local DJ for a light rock/jazz station in the Bay Area, introduced me to Russell Malone a while back. Sensational artist! I agree -- his bossa version of Rise is magnificent. Have you heard his version of Alfie on his Look Who's Here CD? How about Wives & Lovers from his self-titled CD? It's really well done. He has an easy-going, straight-forward style that I really like.

Man! Now I'm going to have to dig into my (disorganized -- we're in the process of moving everything into a new entertainment center in the family room! :shock: ) CD collection and locate my Scott Cossu CDs!! This thread has me in a "World/Jazz" mood!!! :D

Jon

...Jazzin' it up on and offline...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom