Donation Drive: 2010/2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rudy

¡Que siga la fiesta!
Staff member
Site Admin
I had some rough decisions to make this year. I have already closed up a couple more websites and let more domains lapse, and have considered merging other sites and forums, including this one, into a single site to save ongoing costs. Or, I've even considered just getting rid of all of these sites completely. The problem with that: we have a lot of loyal visitors and good friends in all of these areas, and I'd hate to be the catalyst that causes the groups to splinter off.

Amazon sales through all of the sites this year are alarmingly low, even lower than last year. I realize they may not always have the best price, but with patient and careful shopping, I'm spotting good deals all the time. Even Marketplace purchases on Amazon benefit us. Purchases through our Amazon links cost nothing extra, but a small portion of the sale comes to this site rather than directly to Amazon. We also still offer GEMM, but it is at the point where sales through GEMM don't even amount to one payment per year.

With our annual hosting bill due at the end of the year, and shrinking affiliate sales, we're unfortunately having to run another donation drive. We do get a discount for renewing a year at once, but the discount this year is not as great as it has been in the past. We also have ongoing domain renewals, and other associated costs, that our affiliate links just cannot cover anymore.

We appreciate anything you can give! Even a few dollars helps us to our goal. As with last year's drive, and to make things much easier for us to track, donations are accepted via our "business" page:

http://www.cantonwebservices.com/payments

The payment processes through Paypal, but you do NOT need a Paypal account to contribute.

We are still hopeful that the economy will look better in 2011. I have also launched two new sites in 2010 that have potential, as they tie in together. One will be providing a service that many will find valuable, and we'll post an announcement here when that site is ready to debut.

Thanks again for being a loyal visitor over the years, and thanks in advance for any contribution you can offer.

Don't forget, too, that we are an Amazon affiliate, partnered with Amazon in the US, Canada, UK and Japan. Links are posted on the Corner's home page. Just today, I had an excellent customer experience with Amazon in Canada, resolving a damaged shipment issue literally within a half hour. (Their initial reply got to me sixteen minutes after I first contacted them.) In this age of shortcuts, it's nice to know that there are some companies out there that still want to please the customer.

I have always had very good luck with Amazon. They were one of the first companies that I "shopped online" with and therefore the bar was set pretty high for customer service....it takes a lot to impress me, thanks to them! :D

I wish I could contribute this year, but I cannot. I am Father of the Bride once again in a few months. Two daughters' weddings in less than a year. Hopefully, next time. I LOVE the site and so appreciate everyone's contributions.

I don't post very often, preferring to see what the heavy hitters have to say about this and that and the other, but I always enjoy the exchanges and have learned a ton of stuff about my favorite record label. I've visited the site almost every day since I first discovered it over a decade ago. I try to direct all my amazon purchases through here, small as they usually are. A&M Corner enriches my life. That's why I've just made a dollar-a-week contribution for 2011. C'mon, folks, let's keep this site alive and growing!

=Mike A :bandit:

A&M Guy: it's usually on the order of several hundred dollars to cover the basics, but I have other sites that are in the kitty as well, and part of the donation plan. The idea is that just a small amount from anyone is helpful and not a huge burden. IOW, I know how rough things are for everyone, and don't want anyone to make a contribution, or keep it very small if they do, if things are tight. In past years, I've seen a few early donors who sent nothing in the past year or two, and that's fine as well since everyone's conditions change.

I do expect contributions will be down this year, but I'm pessimistic since our economy in Michigan is still sinking, despite what the media tells us. I also wish we had maybe ten times as many users across all the sites, as it would be easy for many folks to chip in five dollars and things would be covered.

Mark--TWO weddings in one year?? Ouch! Of course, it's quicker to an "empty nest" doing it that way... :D But, I remember what my ill-fated wedding cost back in 1989 dollars...I wish I'd had that money now!

College, two weddings...at what point do you start looking for a cardboard box to live in?? :D I've seen the bills for my own college classes. They're not too bad, but once I'm done here and transfer to a University, I'll probably be shell shocked. My youngest will be starting college in about seven years, and I hate to think what it'll cost then!

At least a wedding doesn't drain your cash every semester. And I'm lucky I've gotten grants--it's a once in a lifetime opportunity for me.

Given that we've only had three donations across all the sites, I'm looking at alternate plans. This forum may still continue in some shape or form, but changes need to be made rather quickly as we only have two weeks left. If that happens, I'll try to post new URLs as soon as I can, and as needed. If we have to move to a cheaper host, all I could enable is the forum--everything else will be mothballed until things improve.

The Forum is pretty much what a lot of us here peruse... By now, we've pretty much gotten caught up on the info as far as biographies & discographies of at least the most notable of A&M artists are concerned... Although reading about them at A&M Corner does add a nice touch, there's nothing wrong w/ having to seek out alternate sources for info (unless we incorporate it in a thread somewhere here)...

I think if we were to even have a discussion board design like the old one it would be a good idea (although we're used to the many we have "enclosed" in the different "subjects"--and even it can hopefully be continued) as long as we can keep discussing our favorite music & current topics which relate; that would be the best option as far as cutting costs & continuing serving us goes...

Just my 2-Dollars--I mean, 2-Cents!:cool:

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom