• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

"Drumline" -- a must-see flick

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
I took in this movie on a whim during the holidays and was pleasantly surprised by the quality of it. This is a story about musicians for musicians or those who aspire to be. The protagonist is an inner city kid whose talent for drum playing lands him a scholarship to a small Atlanta area music college. The plot centers around his adjustment, plus the intense competition among college marching bands in the region. Occasional adult language, but no sex or violence (PG-13)
There's minor A&M connection in the scene where the hero receives some inspirational cassettes from his estranged father by several jazz percussion legends, including Jan. birthday list member Max Roach.
If you're looking for an afternoon matinee, check this out.
JB

Was it as good as the movie with Amy Irving and Richard Dreyfuss that I believe was called "The Competition"? They were piano students in a competition, and Amy's piano broke a string in the middle of her performance, and she ended up playing a Prokopiev piece...the first time I ever heard one of his works, which helped me understand the line from "10", in which Dudley Moore asks Bo Derek what she wants to do when she "listens to Prokopiev"...

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom