• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Edwin Starr: R.I.P.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rudy

¡Que siga la fiesta!
Staff member
Site Admin
Just heard that soul/R&B star Edwin Starr (61), best known for the hits "War," "25 Miles" and "Agent Double-O-Soul" died of a heart attack today at his home near Nottingham, England.

:cry:

Very sad news....good ol' Agent Double-O-Soul himself....always had a fond place for those old Ric Tic 45's, since the above was the first Edwin 45 I bought as a kid...then there was "Stop Her On Sight"(S.O.S.)," "Headline News" and "Back Street." Of course it's "War" and "Twenty-Five Miles" we'll always remember, but his catalog, while not deep, had plenty to recommend, even if his late '70s disco hits were never my cup of tea.

Another Motown titan passes... :sad:

ED:cool:

At least he lived out his remaining years as a highly regarded performer in England where, as Kev Roberts writes in 'Northern Soul Top 500', Starr "has more influence on the Northern scene, artist wise, than anyone else...Yes, we have seen him a hundred times but he is like no other. The biggest Northern Soul act ever -- end of story!"
Look for Gordy 7071,'My Weakness Is You', the stunning B-side to 'I Am the Man For You Baby' from 1968.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom