Family Portrait

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not so sure about THE BEAT OF THE BRASS. Herb's hair looks a bit fuller/shaggier in the BEAT cover shot, and the guys all have different colored tux jackets in the FAMILY PORTRAIT picture, whereas they're all black on BEAT.

I could be convinced though, given that hairdressers and wardrobe changes aren't that difficult to imagine.

Harry

Harry, you're right. Just did a side-by-side...not only fuller/shaggier hair, but different length sideburns, too...and those don't grow out in an afternoon. So it's just LOOK AROUND.

How cool to just run up the road to Griffith Park (10 minutes from A&M, tops) have a little picnic and get this great shot!

I'm not so sure about THE BEAT OF THE BRASS. Herb's hair looks a bit fuller/shaggier in the BEAT cover shot, and the guys all have different colored tux jackets in the FAMILY PORTRAIT picture, whereas they're all black on BEAT.

Yeah, by the time Beat Of The Brass came out John Pisano had his mustache, and he's clearly clean-shaven on the Family Portrait cover.

Capt. Bacardi

Far from perfect due to different resolutions and types of images (you can see the "screen" on the advertisement). But, cheaper than buying the original. :D

Harry, you're right. Just did a side-by-side...not only fuller/shaggier hair, but different length sideburns, too...and those don't grow out in an afternoon.

That can happen--ask some of my Italian schoolmates. They had a 5 o'clock shadow by about 9:30am. :D

I can't tell what color the tuxes are from this picture, as there is some color shift that may be due to age. Notice how the pic is more faded on the right side than the left.

It's still a fascinating picture for those of us who are into the record label.

This picture from slightly later in the picnic was used in the A&M RECORDS: THE FIRST TEN YEARS book. It's on a linen stock that has a sheen to it, plus it's near the spine, so the scan has a both a reflection and some distortion on the right side, but it's the best I could manage.

FamPortraitGroupShot.jpg

Harry

It wasn't too much later in the picnic--the food isn't totally devoured yet. More empty bottles though. :D

I am also getting a kick out of the "trumpet used as a prop" motif in the pics. That and how sharp everyone is dressed, except for a certain gang of bandidos who look like they just came in from the stockyard. :D

Chris Montez seems to be the only A&M "regular" missing from the picnic. Wonder if he was touring that day. Boyce * Hart, Merry-Go-Round and Sandpipers are there, though....

familyport_test2-jpg.197

famportraitgroupshot-jpg.198

Harry
...putting the two pics together, online...

Chris Montez seems to be the only A&M "regular" missing from the picnic. Wonder if he was touring that day. Boyce * Hart, Merry-Go-Round and Sandpipers are there, though....

Since Mr. Bill couldn't see the first two-page spread (I uploaded it to Photobucket and the military probably doesn't allow access to that site), here's the text that appeared under the photo.

On the right page it says,
But it is all on record--the missing music, the absent faces and those who smile through the sunshine-Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass, The Baja Marimba Band, Tommy Boyce & Bobby Hart, Claudine Longet, Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66, The Merry-Go-Round, Liza Minnelli, Wes Montgomery, and The Sandpipers...all A&M and all for you; on record. (* and Burt Bacharach, Procol Harum, Antonio Carlos Jobim, Herbie Mann, Chris Montez, The Move, Jimmie Rodgers, Robin Wilson, The Parade, & Phil Ochs, who, because they are with A&M Records, were there in spirit.)

So I guess, in addition to Chris Montez, Burt Bacharach and Jimmie Rodgers could also be considered "regulars."

Harry

Bottom picture, far left in the front row...Emitt Rhodes, correct?

Ah, OK, so in the actual FAMILY PORTRAIT shot, the Merry Go-Round are behind the BMB and near the tree where two of the Sandpipers are standing. I was wondering who they were and could only come up with Tamba 4, who I guess are neither pictured, nor listed.

So in the middle of the top photo, about mid-ground, that would be Boyce and Hart?

So in the middle of the top photo, about mid-ground, that would be Boyce and Hart?

Yes. That's Tommy Boyce and Bobby Hart behind Herb in the first picture that you had to reconstruct.

I used to this lp along with something festive and music box. When ihad all the original lps represented in those comps i mistakenly gave them away to friends WHAT AN IDIOT I WAS FOR DOING THAT!!!however that was the 80s when i did all that but they are still fondly remembered by me. And always will be at least i have a good portion of those artists and songs on cd by the way you liza minelli a&m seekers are you aware that collectors choice music a few years ago released a complete two disc set of liza minelli's complete a&m recordings??? I have my copy and they sound wonderful. I highly recommend you all track down a copy if you can find and its still avaliable. Ihope ive helped somebody out here. Today. Have a blessed day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom