• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

🎄 Holidays! Favorite Christmas songs???

AM Matt

Forum Undertaker
My mom favorite Christmas songs are "I'll Be Home For Christmas" & "Let There Be Peace On Earth" by Vince Gill from 1993. I would like to hear LeAnn Rimes version of "Let There Be Peace On Earth" someday but it is NOT on her latest CD "What A Wonderful World". When you go to Target, the CD has a bonus track. I also like B.J. Thomas version of "Peace" from the 1997 CD "Christmas Is Coming Home" on Warner Resound. My favorite Christmas song is "Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)" by Darlene Love (maybe she will sing that song on the "Late Show With David Letterman" on December 23). The group U2 did a great version of that song from 1987 "A Very Special Christmas". The worst Christmas song: "Go Tell It On The Mountain". The weirdest "Funky Christmas" by James Brown from 1969 ("I Ain't Talkin'"). :tongue: Matt Clark Sanford, MI

My favorite Christmas songs are MERRY CHRISTMAS DARLING, HAVE YOURSELF A MERRY LITTLE CHRISTMAS, ALL I WANT FOR CHRISTMAS IS YOU, DO YOU HEAR WHAT I HEAR?

raz42289 said:
My favorite Christmas songs are MERRY CHRISTMAS DARLING, HAVE YOURSELF A MERRY LITTLE CHRISTMAS, ALL I WANT FOR CHRISTMAS IS YOU, DO YOU HEAR WHAT I HEAR?

Just curious: Which "All I Want for Christmas Is You"? Off the top of my head I know at least three different songs by that name. One was done by Foghat, one by Vince Vance and the Valiants, and one by Mariah Carey.

The first verse of the Foghat:
I don't want no Cadillac in my back yard
I don't need no '56 Les Paul guitar
I don't want no mansion house with an ocean view
All I want for Christmas is you

The first verse of the Vince Vance and the Valiants:
Take back the holly and mistletoe
Silver bells on strings
If I wrote a letter to Santa Claus
I would ask for just one thing
I don't need sleigh rides in the snow
Don't want a Christmas that's blue
Take back the tinsel, stockings and bows
Cause all I want for Christmas is you

And the first verse of the Mariah Carey:
I don't want a lot for Christmas
There's just one thing I need
I don't care about presents
Underneath the Christmas tree
I just want you for my own
More than you could ever know
Make my wish come true
All I want for Christmas is you

Forgot to mention songs that may be heard on radio stations like "There Is No Christmas (Like A Home Christmas)" by the late Perry Como from 1968 (which is on "Greatest Christmas Songs"), Ed Ames "Christmas Is The Warmest Time Of The Year" (not on a CD compilation) (almost similar to "The Most Wonderful Day Of The Year" from "Rudolph, The Red-Nosed Reindeer" from Rankin-Bass) which was also done by country singer Aaron Tippin & Bobby Sherman "Love's What You're Gettin' For Christmas" from 1970 (which is not on Varese "The Very Best Of" or on the reissues that Collectibles did). Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Sorry Tim, I realized this after I posted it, but was too lazy to edit it. tehehe :D

I like the Mariah Carey version.

Thad Jones' ballad,"A Child Is Born",was never specifically intended to be considered to be a holiday song,but lyrics added years after the music was written has made this a required song on just about any straight ahead jazz Christmas album. So as long as the song gets spread around and the Jones estate receives its due-so be it. For me,my first born came into this world over thirty years ago just before Christmas,so I play it for personal reasons. The original Jones/Lewis orchestra version(currently in print on the BlueNote reissue CONSUMMATION does fine for me. Mac

I'll vouch for "Go Tell It On the Mountain." I've played it at my church job many times, and I think it's a good, rousing song (for me, a good way to begin a service). Just out of curiosity, Matt, what makes it that bad? :?:

Back
Top Bottom