• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Favorite Jazz Albums of All-Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

What are your favorite all-time jazz albums? They can be on any label and in any style - even the "smooooooth" stuff (of course, we'll point and giggle at you afterwards :wink: ).

I have a feeling that Kind Of Blue will be on most lists. :agree:

Capt. Bacardi
...trying to get some action in this forum, online...

Captain Bacardi said:
Capt. Bacardi...trying to get some action in this forum, online...

...Uhhhh!!...Mmmph!!...Uuuggghhh!!!... I'll help you out!! :twitchy: :wink:

My All-Time-Favorite Jazz Album has to be Gabor Szabo's JAZZ RAGA

It is on impulse! A(Mono)/AS(Stereo) 9128. It has to be one of the first Jazz- Rock Albums (though there are MANY who lay claim to making the first, or call "other" Jazz-Rock LP's the "first", despite the actual group or artist's claim to it only being Either/Or!)

But it's the first Gabor Szabo LP I ever bought and dropped the needle on. Inside its gatefold jacket many Impulse recordings are famous for, there are photos of Gabor playing a sitar (the old East INDIAN kind with the THOUSAND strings!) and Bernard "Pretty" Purdie on drums. Two good selling points, though the cover shows Gabor playing a Danelectro Coral Sitar--the more recently developed (and EASIER TO PLAY!) electric instrument (which on subsequent LP's featuring that instrument, Danelectro got credit for--as well as a player Szabo hired, Bill Plummer, who is shown playing a "modern version of the old Sit-Down Kind).

But, yes, the LP features a very Jazz Structure of tunes, originals and remakes of "Caravan" and "Summertime" and even The Rolling Stones' "Paint It Black". And like the title suggests, there ARE your typical tributes or "An homage to The Maharash!" on tracks such as "Krishna", "Walking On Nails" and "Search For Nirvana". But amid the "transcendal meditation" stuff (which can put you in a Deep Trance) are more Jazz-oriented tracks like "Comin' Back", "Ravi" (despite the title--a tribute to Shankir) and "Raga Doll" (with solos by "Pretty" Purdie and Gabor's GUITAR as opposed to the frequently heard Sitar on the TM ecomiums taking the lead, again contrary to the title), as well as the afore-mentioned "Caravan", "Summertime" and "Paint It Black".

Yes, a Fusion of Rock and Jazz in the sense BOTH are played and HEARD--not just the typical FUSING the Structures of One with the Wattage of Another.

And I've long upgraded the copy I bought 10 or 11 years ago with a better one, about 8 years ago--both are/were Mono, yet "Reprocessed" for Stereo. Could have bought a Stereo copy at a record store I briefly worked at, bought at, but someone beat me to it. I never knew the difference--both are "Divided Stereo" if you play it on Stereo Equipment; I thought so, anyway.

Dave

My list would have to include Dave Brubeck's "Time Out" and "Time Further Out", Vince Guaraldi's "Jazz Impressions Of Black Orpheus", Lee Morgan's "The Sidewinder", John Coltrane's "Live In Japan", Jimmy Smith's "The Sermon", Cannonball Adderley's "Something Else", and George Benson's "Breezin'".
Oh, yeah, and "Kind Of Blue"!

I would have to opt for a few of the live tracks form the Village Vangard box by John Coltrane. I made my own distillation from the 4 discs to 2 discs by burning all the different versions of "India", "Impressions" and "Spiritual". That makes for a good listen. :cool:
The Art Ensemble of Chicago early discs (1968-70) and Don Cherry Mu Pts 1/2 would both be on a short list of favorites/desert discs. More mainstream, but still overlooked IMHO, would be discs such as Lee Morgan's Live at the Lighthouse, Freddie Hubbard's Blue Spirits, or Art Blakey's Free For All. But then again I have an obsession with Hard Bop/Blue Note circa 1955-1969ish.
Just about any of Charles Lloyd's ECM releases of the 1990s are worth picking up for that slow burn/late night pulse. Michael Occhipinti's Creation Dream (songs of Bruce Cockburn) is a strong release, but I must say that being a Cockburn fanatic is surely my interest here.
Unfortunately, just about all the Jazz that I like/love is by deceased artists preserved forevermore only on cd/lp/tape... Didn't mean to bring this down... :wink: JWW

I, too, would have to vote for George Benson's "Breezin'." Being the 45 RPM buff that I am, I tend to prefer tight singles over lengthy album cuts, so I'm not a HUGE jazz buff, but "Breezin'" (like "Kind of Blue") has always been one of those jazz albums I have absolutely no problem getting into. (But then, Benson's "Lady Love Me (One More Time)" is easily one of my ten favorite singles of all time, so I know that jazz purists would have much to say about my tastes ... :tongue: )

Jeff
NP: Al Jarreau "Says" (speaking of records that alienate jazz purists ...)

I like Stanley Clarke's JOURNEY TO LOVE and Lenny White's VENUSIAN SUMMER.

Clarke's JOURNEY TO LOVE, despite having Jeff Beck on a couple of tracks, wasn't exactly the thing record stores had in their "Rock" section, but it "defied catagorization" and Chick Corea, as well as George Duke were featured, too. SCHOOL DAYS, the follow-up was just as good. Had both original Nemperor pressings (associated with Atlantic) and reissues by Epic, that I bought new.

Lenny White's VENUSIAN SUMMER was such a cool album to own. I saw it on an Atlantic Records Inner-Sleeve, but sooner came across the other LP's he made--ADVENTURES OF ASTRAL PIRATES, BIG CITY and STREAMLINE before I found a good copy of SUMMER.

Dave

...who no longer owns these, since having pursued "other avenues of Jazz"; see my "Best Jazz on A&M Postings" or my commentary on the Szabo LP, above...

Marc Antoine's "Crusin'", "Classical Soul", & "Mediterraneo", Peter White's "Glow", Herb Alpert's "Magic Man" (to me, that's a good contemporary jazz album, though some might call it "instrumental pop", R&B, or MOR), Vince Guaraldi's "A Boy Named Charlie Brown" (I agree with a reviewer who once said that he made kid-sized music that was at the same time, adult jazz), "A Charlie Brown Christmas", "Oh Good Grief!", Steve Oliver's "Positive Energy", and Dave Brubeck's "Time Out".

I didn't know how to put these in a specific order because they're all good.:cool:

My all time favorite jazz album: “Somethin’ ELSE”, Cannonball Adderly, Miles Davis, Hank Jones, Same Jones & Art Blakey, (Blue Note).

How does one explain their favorite music, artist or album; especially jazz? I don’t know. What I do know is that when I put this record on, close my eyes and listen, it sounds like everything jazz is supposed to be – at its finest. I’m not a musician or sound engineer and I can’t technically pick things apart by listening like some of the contributors. But, I know what I like when I hear it. Sitting on my patio, glass of wine and a cigar and listening to “Somethin ELSE” – it doesn’t get much better when it comes to jazz.

Of course most times I’m on the patio I’m listening to Herb Alpert and TJB – that’s truly the best.

On my turntable this week: Henry Mancini, Uniquely Mancini, IMHO one of his best big band albums with the cream of the "west coast" musicians. I've always liked this one. And in the CD changer, I've been spinning a favorite Shorty Rogers album, Afro-Cuban Influence. As for other favorites, I've always liked the Cal Tjader Greatest Hits on Fantasy; normally I don't include compilations as a favorite but this one hits all of the highlights. Brubeck's Time Out on SACD sounds good also, although I'm slightly more fond of Time Further Out.

I could list a ton of them myself, but for starters:

Frank Rosolino & Conte Candoli - Conversation

Freddie Hubbard - The Artistry Of...

Chick Corea - Friends

Maynard Ferguson - M.F. Horn 2

Sonny Rollins - Saxophone Colossus

Bill Evans - Trio '65

J.J. Johnson - J.J. Inc.

Bill Watrous - Manhattan Wildlife Refuge

Buddy Rich - Big Swing Face

Count BasiePrime Time

Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Out and Dave Digs Disney

Miles Davis - Walkin' and Miles Smiles

Herbie Hancock - Maiden Voyage

Urbie Green - Persuasive Sounds Of (Volumes 1 & 2)

Keith Jarrett - The Koln Concert

Weather Report - 8:30

Clifford Brown - The Beginning And End

Gary Burton - Times Square

I know I'm forgetting quite a few, but this is a good start. And this doesn't even include my favorite A&M titles...

Capt. Bacardi

Favorite jazz albums-Thad Jones/Mel Lewis-CONSUMMATION;Pat Williams-THRESHOLD;Bill Evans-& SYNPHONY ORCHESTRA,CONVERSATIONS WITH MYSELF;Oliver Nelson-BLUES & THE ABSTRACT TRUTH;Weather Report-HEAVY WEATHER;Pete Jolly-Herb Alpert PRESENTS;Stan Getz-FOCUS:winkgrin:izzy Gillespie-GILLESPIANA;Herbie Hancock-MAIDEN VOYAGE;Maynard Ferguson-A MESSAGE FROM NEWPORT;Larry Young-UNITY;Various Artists-THAT'S THE WAY I FEEL NOW( TRIBUTE TO MONK);Chick Corea-RETURN TO FOREVER(The album,not the group);Singer's Unlimited-MAGIC VOICES(Box);Henry Mancini-MANCINI '67:winkgrin:uke Ellington-NEVER NO LAMENT(Blanton-Webster band);John Coltrane-A LOVE SUPREME;Jimmy Smith-BUCKET!:winkgrin:on Byron-BUG MUSIC;Various Artists-SO BLUE,SO FUNKY(Blue Note Hammond organ comp;Various Artists-THE PRESTIGE JAZZ SOUL ENCYCLOPEDIA VOL.1. Wes Montgomery-BUMPIN';Buddy Rich-BIG SWING FACE;Various Artists-SONGS THAT MADE THE PHONE LIGHT UP(Joel Dorn's compilation of Philly Jazz radio favorites). That's off the top of my head- Mac

Don Ellis LIVE AT FILLMORE

Herbie Hancock HEADHUNTERS

Stan Kenton LIVE AT REDLANDS UNIVERSITY

Woody Herman LIGHT MY FIRE

Don Ellis Band GOES UNDERGROUND

Chick Corea FRIENDS

Herb Alpert SECOND WIND

Herb Alpert MIDNIGHT SUN

Herb&Hugh Masakela MAIN EVENT LIVE

Barry Manilow SWING STREET [may not fit the pattern, but I think it's a jazz album, and there are some sweet instrumental moments...]

Miles Davis KIND OF BLUE [there it is...]

any Buddy Rich album...

Baja Marimba Band AS TIME GOES BY {there's some really good jazz here...especially BIG NOISE FROM ENCINO and SAMBA FOR VICKY...]

PETE JOLLY AND FRIENDS

Dave Grusin THE GERSHWIN CONNECTION

BIRD, THE ORIGINAL MOTION PICTURE SOUNDTRACK

Dave Brubeck TAKE FIVE

Chris Botti A THOUSAND KISSES DEEP

Chuck Mangione CHILDREN OF SANCHEZ

Chuck Mangione TOGETHER

Henry Mancini THE MANCINI GENERATION

Deodato WHIRLWINDS

Don Ellis CONNECTIONS

Gato Barbieri RUBY RUBY

Wes Montgomery DOWN HERE ON THE GROUND

Wes Montgomery GREATEST HITS

Vince Guraldi A CHARLEY BROWN CHRISTMAS

Both Juan Oscar albums...

Dan

Figured this should get an honorable mention as a Favorite Jazz LP:

Gary McFarland -- TODAY (Skye SK-14)

A bit of a Pop album, especially with the Peter Smith Cartoonish Cover--much like the cartoons in the gatefold of Gabor Szabo's concurrent 1969 LP--and I think this was repeated on The Late Gary McFarland's BUTTERSCOTCH RUM, too.

But well improvised, the tunes are cunningly and craftily delivered, not to mention well chosen, and as much of a must-own as McFarland's recommended stuff on Verve, such as SOFT SAMBA and SOFT SAMBA WITH STRINGS, not to mention, SCORPIO AND OTHER SIGNS (which along with THE IN SOUND, I couldn't listen to more than once, myself, despite Gabor Szabo playing on the latter).

But back to the tunes, ranging from The Beatles' "Because", Stevie Wonder's "My Cherie Amor", another Beatles track "Get Back" (which sounded so great played over the speakers at the supermarket--which I was NOT "too young to remember"!) and ending with a good version of "Berimbau".

A great and refreshing and sometimes Tropical Jazz Excursion, you can relax and even BOOGIE to.

Dave

...now if only (the late) Gary McFarland's COMPLETE WORKS could be reissued on CD--maybe the short lived Verve By Request Series and DCC, who released SOME of The Artists' stuff on the Skye Catalog...FORGOT HE EVEN EXISTS :baah: !!! :mad:

Another of my all time favorite Jazz albums is Dr. John’s “Duke Elegant” (Blue Note). This is a tribute album to the legendary Duke Ellington. Some call it funk, for me it falls into the ultra wide spectrum of jazz. His rendition of “Satin Doll” is really something else. Dr. John is normally not my cup of tea, but this album is superb.

Some of my favorites are by Pat Metheny. In solo Metheny, I'd pick Secret Story, although it isn't quite jazz all the time. For his "Group" albums, I'd have to go with First Circle, PMG, Letter From Home, We Live Here and Speaking Of Now.

Anyone know which list I'd put "Zero Tolerance for Silence" on?? :laugh:

Big band jazz is another favorite. In addition to "Uniquely Mancini" above, I like most of the Maynard Ferguson recordings on Roulette, and the first few on Columbia (mainly the MF Horn series). I've only listened to a few of Stan Kenton's albums so far, but have liked them as well. I do like some of those mid 50's to mid 60's Basie albums as well, like "April In Paris" and the Quincy Jones-powered "Li'l Ol' Groovemaker...Basie" album (as well as the albums they did together with Sinatra).

Cal Tjader's a big one for me--favorite era would have to be a tie between his Verve recordings and his early pre-Verve Fantasy era.

One jazz artist that borders on fusion that I've followed for over 25 years now is Jean-Luc Ponty. I pretty much enjoy anything from "Imaginary Voyage" to the present--can't really single out any particular one, since they're all good in my book.

Rudy said:
Anyone know which list I'd put "Zero Tolerance for Silence" on?? :laugh:

I'd say it still belongs above that Kenny guy! :wink:

Have you heard Metheny's Bright Size Life? It was his first solo album on ECM with Jaco and Bob Moses. Great stuff! I still listen to the "white album" of the PMG a lot. It's still fresh-sounding to this day. I've been tempted to pick up one of the PMG DVDs, but I'm not sure whether I want to go that direction or not.

Capt. Bacardi

Rudy said:
Cal Tjader's a big one for me--favorite era would have to be a tie between his Verve recordings and his early pre-Verve Fantasy era.

I can agree, having added his Soul Bird: Whiffenpoof and Time for 2 to my collection.

I guess you can start the giggling :tongue: , because I do like a lot of the smooth stuff and most of what follows is that stuff, but other than a couple exceptions, it's more on a song by song basis than whole albums.

Herb Alpert - the Second Wind album, some of Midnight Sun

Chris Botti - Drive Time, Regroovable, Why Not

Rick Braun - Cadillac Slim; The entire Shake It Up album

Wayman Tisdale - Can't Hide Love

Norah Jones - Don't Know Why

Al Jarreau - pretty much anything he does - especially Never Givin' Up, Mornin,' Moonlighting, Boogie Down, Roof Garden

Randy Crawford - Rio De Janiero Blue

Steely Dan - Deacon Blues, Josie

Paul Brown - 24/7, Moondance, Don't Let Me Be Lonely Tonight

Swing Out Sister - pretty much anything; especially Am I The Same Girl?, Breakout, Twilight World

Seal - Kiss From A Rose

Gregory Abbott - Shake You Down

Big Bad Voodoo Daddy - pretty much anything they do

Paul Hardcastle - Rainforest

Dave Grusin/Lee Ritenour - Early A. M. Attitude

Spyro Gyra - Morning Dance

Ronnie Laws - Every Generation

One of my recent kicks has been the Herbie Hancock albums "Head Hunters" and "Thrust". The former I have in a surround SACD (which is a reissue of the old quadraphonic version). It took me a couple of years of owning these to finally appreciate them. I also have "Sextant", but it is a bit too bizarre for my taste.

Last night, I heard a concert by a local jazz/soul singer at our civic center. During the break, they were playing the new Joe Sample/Randy Crawford album. This is one I'll have to pick up soon. "Street Life" has been a staple of mine since it came out.

The only Herbie Hancock I have ever had, besides appearances with Wes Montgomery and Herbie Mann, has been his 2-Disc Treasure Chest collection, which seems to rehash a lot of Head Hunters and not enough Thrust... --Or is it too much Thrust and not enough Head Hunters...???!!! :confused:

Dave

Gabor Szabo's Magical Connection would be my "Desert Island Disc"; on Blue Thumb; wish it had gone on CD (even through the Verve reissue program), along with the "unreleased tracks" I read about...

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom