• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Favorite Remixes

Which Is Your Favorite Remixed Version?

• Rise (45 version)

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Aranjuez

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Rotation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Beyond (45 version)

• Magic Man (45 version)

• Fandango

• Red Hot

• Garden Party (45 version)

• Bullish

• "8" Ball

• Keep Your Eye On Me

• Diamonds

• I Need You

• 3 O'Clock Jump

• North On South St.

• Jump Street

• CD Mega Mix

• Total voters

Captain Bacardi

Just curious as to which remix of Herb Alpert songs is your favorite? I've listed all of the 12" singles that I can think of, even though songs like "Rise" and "Beyond" had no differences from their album version, which is why I chose the 45 versions. All of the others are of the 12" variety unless otherwise noted. Songs such as "Diamonds" and "Bullish" had more than one remix, so be sure to mention which one is your favorite.

Capt. Bacardi

This was a tough one. I had it narrowed to three, but since I had to pick only one, I went with "Aranjuez" for the added measures of "middle eastern" or greek in the middle. I'e always thought of "Aranjuez" as a musical tour around the Mediterranean.

My other choices at a close second would be either side of the "Bullish" 12" -- the "rub-a-dub-dub" mix being slightly favored over the "monster funk mix." (Those RandyAndy boys, again). "North On South Street" (any mix) is third.

--Mr Bill
also partial to "Three O'Clock Jump"...

I voted for "Fandango", though the choice was tough, and I actually would choose one that's not on the list, which I suppose could be, the "Herb Alpert CD Mega Mix" that was on the flip side of the 12" "Making Love In The Rain" in the UK.

I remember my first listen to the "Fandango" 12" mix when I finally found one on eBay. Some of the extended middle section's hoot's & hollers sound like Lani might have made an appearance.

The "Herb Alpert CD Mega Mix" is a 9:16 tour through much of Herb's solo material, starting with an intro culled from "Keep Your Eye On Me", then going through sections of "Rise", "Rotation", "Red Hot", "Keep Your Eye On Me", "Diamonds", then back to "Keep Your Eye On Me" for the cold ending. The whole thing attempts to keep a constant beat, and it comes pretty close. This track was mixed by Dakeyne of DMC (UK).

Harry
...back from vacation and ploughing through both posts and driveway snow, online...

I went with "North On South Street" Massive Sound 12", mainly because of the extended trumpet solo throughout. I was actually surprised that the album version of this song wasn't longer in order to get this solo in. I think it's one of Herb's better solos.

Capt. Bacardi

Harry said:
I voted for "Fandango", though the choice was tough, and I actually would choose one that's not on the list, which I suppose could be, the "Herb Alpert CD Mega Mix" that was on the flip side of the 12" "Making Love In The Rain" in the UK.

I knew I'd forget one. I've added it to the list, although I guess now you won't be able to vote for it. My bad. :oops:

Capt. Bacardi

"Diamonds" had a "Cool Summer Mix", which is familiar if you were a Janet Jackson fan: "Nasty" had a cool summer mix as well.

I can modify or un-do a vote in the database...give the word and I'll change it. (It's actually easier to un-do the vote.)

Mr Bill said:
This was a tough one. I had it narrowed to three, but since I had to pick only one, I went with "Aranjuez" for the added measures of "middle eastern" or greek in the middle. I'e always thought of "Aranjuez" as a musical tour around the Mediterranean.

Of course the 12" version of "Aranjuez" didn't have all the whooping and hollering in the middle section as it did on the album, which really took away from the song. In an interview Herb said he "cheated" on the single mix so that DJs wouldn't flip "Rise" over and play "Aranjuez" instead. The one thing I did like on the 12" mix was that the strings were removed in the section before Herb's first solo, and there's some guitar parts noticeable.

Capt. Bacardi
...gettin' ready for the Super Bowl online...

It's been awhile since I've spun the 12" single with "Rise"/"Aranjuez". I'm still waiting for some new record cleaning fluid to come in, but transfering all of my 12" singles to high-res DVD-Audio is going to be my next big project. Some of these are irreplaceable. All I really have in Herb Alpert 12"s are anything that has a remix, except for one or two I may have missed. I don't bother with promo releases of album cuts, or single edits usually.

I can see making a two-CD set of Alpert remixes though. The first disc would have only one remix of each song on it. And for all the extras, like the four other versions of "North on South Street", I'd put those on a second disc since I never care to hear the same song more than once in a listening session. (I'd be doing it more for archival purposes.) I'd make one or two exceptions, but otherwise the first CD would contain all different songs. ("Diamonds" cool summer mix is different enough, as is the "Bullish" monster funk mix. But I'd drop either one for space concerns if needed.)

Back
Top Bottom