• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

🎷 AotW: CTI George Benson - THE OTHER SIDE OF ABBEY ROAD (SP-3028)

All the CTI releases

How Would You Rate This Album?

• ***** (Best)

Votes: 3 37.5%

Votes: 1 12.5%

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • * (Worst)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Never Heard This Album

• Total voters

Captain Bacardi

George Benson
THE OTHER SIDE OF ABBEY ROAD

A&M/CTi SP-3028

sp3028.jpg

Released 1969
Peaked at #18 on Jazz Charts (1970), #125 on Pop Charts (1970)

Format: Vinyl/Reel-to-Reel/8-Track/Cassette/CD

Produced by Creed Taylor

Songs:
  • 1. Golden Slumbers (Lennon/McCartney) - 2:35
    2. You Never Give Me Your Money (Lennon/McCartney) - 3:07
    3. Because/Come Together (Lennon/McCartney) - 7:25
    4. Oh! Darling (Lennon/McCartney) - 3:55
    5. Here Comes The Sun (George Harrison) - 2:25
    6. I Want You (She's So Heavy) (Lennon/McCartney) - 6:20
    7. Octopus's Garden (Richard Starkey)/Something (George Harrison)- 4:30
    8. The End (Lennon/McCartney) - 1:55

Arranged by Don Sebesky

Musicians:
George Benson - Guitar, Vocal
Herbie Hancock - Piano. Organ, Harpsichord
Ernie Hayes - Piano, Organ, Harpsichord
Bob James - Piano, Organ, Harpsichord
Ron Carter - Bass
Gerry Jermott - Bass
Idris Muhammad - Drums
Ed Shaughnessy - Drums
Ray Barretto - Percussion
Andy Gonzalez - Percussion
Wayne Andre - Trombone, Euphonium
Don Ashworth - Baritone Sax, Bass Clarinet
Sonny Fortune - Alto Sax
Jerome Richardson - Tenor Sax, Clarinet, Flute
Mel Davis - Trumpet, Flugelhorn
Bernie Glow - Trumpet, Flugelhorn
Freddie Hubbard - Trumpet
Marvin Stamm - Trumpet, Flugelhorn
Phil Bodner - Flute, Oboe
Hubert Laws - Flute
Raoul Poliakin - Violin
Max Pollikoff - Violin
George Ricci - Cello
Emanuel Vardi - Viola

Recorded at Van Gelder Studios
Rudy Van Gelder, Engineer
Recorded October 22, 23; November 4, 5, 1969

Cover Photography by Eric Meola
Album Design by Sam Antupit

Capt. Bacardi

Last edited by a moderator:
As great a player as Benson was, he tended toward the soft side a bit too much for me; BREEZIN' is, well, too breezy for a man of his skills. This one's better: he seems to be having a good time putting some pizzazz into songs that were already becoming chestnuts that quickly. Not essential, but a good listen every now and then. Cool album cover, typical of the CTI/A&M association. They were generic in style but I just liked that style.

ED:cool:

Generic? There is a uniform purpose to these albums-Sam Antupit is to be commended for the design which instantly identifies an A&M/CTI cover in the racks. If a customer liked a previous album in the series,just picking up a new one meant A&M was halfway home to a new sale. Classic,clean lines that defy time. I love album cover art and own numerous books filled with covers beyond my personal vinyl collection and these A&M/CTIs still do it for me. And,unlike many other covers shrunk from 12 inches to 5 for CD reissue-these hold up fine and can actually be read by those of us trifocally challenged. From the first A&M/CTI-Wes' "Day",I was amazed how what was already my favorite label had done it again with packaging. Later on the series used a paper insert(IH-7-CT) to picture the first 18(in color) that shows just how cool they really were. Love to see all of them,along with the later additions in the Audio Master Plus reissue program,on a poster. Classic. Mac

I haven't seen the term "generic" used before, but someone once wrote that the CTi album covers had photos that really had nothing to do with the music inside. (It was an overall pot shot taken at the A&M/CTi label...even musically.) I say "so what"! :D I like many of the covers, mainly because Pete Turner takes the type of photos that I like. (Either abstract, or an unusual use of colors.) It's no secret that I don't care for some of the albums, but there are others I wouldn't part with. But I can say that about ANY label I listen to.

I thought the A&M/CTI series cover art was purposely designed to sell jazz albums to the R&B/Soul music audience and did so very effectively. Like A&M in general, there was enough uniformity to develop loyalty without stifling the individuality of each album.
The same cannot be said of the UNI 20th Century CDs of recent years.
JB

LPJim said:
The same cannot be said of the UNI 20th Century CDs of recent years.

Uugh!! Those just reek of "product" and "merchandising," don't they? Might be good for the Target and Walmart shoppers, but to me they just seem to cheapen the catalog. But hey, if a lesser-known artist can get an installment in the series and make a few bucks extra in royalties, all for the better.

And familiarity breeds contempt! Recently,with all of the original brains of Rhino drained out of AOL, what was once the benchmark for oldies and compilations now has an "Essential"series which mimics the gray border of the UMVD series. Somebody wake me before they are deleted. Mac

Here's Benson's still-almost most fully conceptional and fully realized LP, and his guitar playing seems to be more together, though his singing still isn't his "best feature"... (As "Golden Slumbers", "I Want You (She's So Heavy", "Oh! Darling" and "Here Comes The Sun", though all done at least OK, demonstrate...)

"You Never Give Me Your Money" and "Because"/"Come Together" seem to contain his best playing... And "The End" is appropriately at the end and not too "Final Sounding", either...

*** 1/2-- (3 1/2) Three-and-a-Half Stars-out-of-Four

Dave

SPs 3014, 3020 and 3028 were reissued in the A&M Jazz Series digipacks in 1988.
All four A&M Benson albums, including I'VE GOT A WOMAN AND SOME BLUES (3025) were reissued on CD in regular jewel cases in 1998.
JB

LPJim said:
All four A&M Benson albums, including I'VE GOT A WOMAN AND SOME BLUES (3025) were reissued on CD in regular jewel cases in 1998.

I've Got A Woman And Some Blues never was released on vinyl until 1984, although it was recorded in 1969.

Capt. Bacardi

This was the last LP which I was ever able to find with the Original Gatefold when I finally DID decide to collect A&M/'Cee-Tee...--...' Usually a lot of copies of this I see are the Newer Ones, without...

Captain Bacardi said:
...I've Got A Woman And Some Blues never was released on vinyl until 1984, although it was recorded in 1969...

Yes, I have had a "Permanent Hole" in my A&M/CTi vinyl, as I've had to have I've Got A Woman... on CD... Awfully Short Album, too--as it meant it STILL Never Got Finished!!! :sad:

Dave

This was a difficult album for me to listen to. First of all, the Beatles' Abbey Road is one of my favorite albums, and one of the greatest albums of all time for me. Secondly, I can't stand George Benson singing. And third, these arrangements are terrible! Most of these arrangements just don't work at all. There are some nice moments when Benson plays his guitar, such as on "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" (nice trumpet solo as well) and "The End", which has an odd ending. There could've been better moments on "Oh! Darling", which is a perfect blues number, but Benson ruined that with his singing. And as usual, the strings clutter up this recording. Not exactly stellar material. 2 stars.

Capt. Bacardi

Five stars! This is one of the greatest CTI albums ever recorded! (IMO) I haven't listened to this album in a while, but from what I remember, Benson's playing is superb as usual, and his singing was wonderful. Definitely one of my favorite albums of all time!

Captain, you can't STAND George's singing? I can't believe you said that! Why, in the eighties, he was the staple of R&B radio! Every other song was a George Benson tune! In my humble opinion, he is one of the greatest singers out there!

Even Pat Metheny says he likes George's singing sometimes over his playing!I honestly prefer George playing more, but come on now, he's got a very great voice! After hearing Moody's Mood, This Masquerade, Give Me The Night, On Broadway, etc; how could you think his singing is NOT good?!!

Oh well, your opinion; to each his own!!

I don't mind Benson's singing, per se, but I never cared for the albums he made past "Give Me The Night"--they just seemed formulaic. Still, I'd rather have HIM sing these R&B staples than many others out there who can't hold a tune. I'd seen him in concert one time, and he actually put on a good show, mixing both instrumental and vocal favorites.

I do still prefer Benson the guitarist: "Absolute Benson" is a favorite recording of mine, and it's mainly instrumental. And probably his most recent guitar-based album.

The "Breezin'" album in surround is kind of nice too. :thumbsup:

jazzdre said:
Captain, you can't STAND George's singing? I can't believe you said that!

Well, you'd better start believing, my man, 'cause I personally think he's a terrible singer (not counting when he scats along with a guitar solo, which is okay). He's not as bad as Herb, but he's nowhere close to Sinatra, Bennett, Darin, Joe Williams, etc. I can tolerate his vocals in "On Broadway", but songs like "This Masquerade" gives me the nails-on-a-chalkboard feeling.

Capt. Bacardi

One of the jazziest tracks on the Beatles’ Abby Road is “I Want You (She’s So Heavy)”. Every time I listen to it I think that The Beatles’ could have crossed over to being a Jazz band with no trouble at all; not that John Lennon would have tolerated it.

On the Beatles’ Abby Road, “I Want You” is followed by “Here Comes The Sun”. George Benson, on the other hand, starts with “Here Comes The Sun” on track 4, and finishes the track with “I Want You”. Most peculiar, mama!

Anyway, I’ve got Benson’s “The Other Side Of Abby Road” on CD and I like it! I like to listen to it while I’m sitting on the patio, sipping a glass of wine and smoking a cigar. Actually, that’s how I like to listen to all my music.

Lastly, I wonder who does that neat trumpet solo on “I want You”?

Mike

I don't have this album, nor Tell it Like it is or the Tamiko Jones album. This one just doesn't appeal to me given the all-Beatles theme, but if I find a good copy around, I might get it just to get a near-complete collection.

Mike said:
One of the jazziest tracks on the Beatles’ Abby Road is “I Want You (She’s So Heavy)”. Every time I listen to it I think that The Beatles’ could have crossed over to being a Jazz band with no trouble at all; not that John Lennon would have tolerated it.

On the Beatles’ Abby Road, “I Want You” is followed by “Here Comes The Sun”. George Benson, on the other hand, starts with “Here Comes The Sun” on track 4, and finishes the track with “I Want You”. Most peculiar, mama!

Anyway, I’ve got Benson’s “The Other Side Of Abby Road” on CD and I like it! I like to listen to it while I’m sitting on the patio, sipping a glass of wine and smoking a cigar. Actually, that’s how I like to listen to all my music.

Lastly, I wonder who does that neat trumpet solo on “I want You”?

Mike

I think Freddie Hubbard, right?

Yokosuka Mike said:
...and I like it! I like to listen to it while I’m sitting on the patio, sipping a glass of wine and smoking a cigar. Actually, that’s how I like to listen to all my music.

I hope there's room on your patio for a friend after I get back to port, Mike! Hell, I'll even bring a bottle or few cigars!

--Mr Bill

Mr Bill said:
Yokosuka Mike said:
...and I like it! I like to listen to it while I’m sitting on the patio, sipping a glass of wine and smoking a cigar. Actually, that’s how I like to listen to all my music.

I hope there's room on your patio for a friend after I get back to port, Mike! Hell, I'll even bring a bottle or few cigars!

--Mr Bill

Bill, there's always room for you! How soon before you pull into port?

All the best,
Mike

Only slightly off topic, but since we are talking Abbey Road, it's somewhat related.

I hightly recommend "McLemore Avenue" by Booker T. and the MG's. It's an Abbey Road "revisited" project, in the same vein as George Benson's.

If you like Booker T, it's a must have. They also did a nice take on the Beatles album cover. Booker, Al, Duck, and Steve are crossing the street(McLemore Ave) just outside of the Stax studios.

Back
Top Bottom