Ghost Bands of Classic Rock?

Are you a fan of classic rock Ghost Bands?

• I don't care who's in it, as long as they play my favorites!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sometimes...it depends on who's in the band, and who's not.

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • Never...I'm a purist, and want as many original members as possible.

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • No comprendo...I'm not a classic rock fan.

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rudy

¡Que siga la fiesta!
Staff member
Site Admin
My local classic rock station WCSX just sent me an e-mail. Apparently I can go online, right now, and buy advanced tickets for an upcoming tour being billed as "Classic Rock's Main Event Tour". This mega-tour features three somewhat familiar :wink: bands: Journey, Styx, and REO Speedwagon. To a 70's classic rock lover, it IS a heck of a lineup!

But...there are a few cynics among us, myself included. This would have been a killer concert in the 70's or even the 80's--a no-brainer. But today, would I go? Maybe...or maybe not. I call it my "ghost band" problem.

In the world of jazz big bands, Ghost Bands are bands where the leaders have passed on, while others take over the leadership role playing the same book of songs on something like a nostalgia kick.

The modern-day classic rock equivalent I would also call a Ghost Band--bands where the lead singer and/or leader is now absent from the group, while remaining members carry on the flame, so to speak, for the seemingly annual aging rocker nostalgia circuit. :wink:

I'm somewhat mixed on the idea. Journey is definitely Ghost Band status...singer Steve Perry has had health problems that have prevented him from touring. I believe two original Journey members now remain. Perry's replacement, though, is quite good...he has a voice similar enough to Perry's to pull it off. But it IS a bit misleading to hear that this guy's name is Steve Augieri, which in a fast radio blurb, sounds like "Perry".

REO is no big deal: Kevin Cronin is still there. Richrath isn't with the band...but did he ever contribute much anyway? I don't think there's an REO guitar lick I'd recognize.

Styx, though, is my pet peeve. I have the "Caught In The Act" concert video, and I can see Dennis DeYoung standing atop his white grand piano, belting out the ending of "Come Sail Away". The Panozzo brothers originally founded a band, which DeYoung joined; this core trio founded Styx. DeYoung can't tour for health reasons, John Panozzo drank himself to death, and Chuck has come out of the closet and is championing his fight against HIV and AIDS. Today, only "JY" is an original Styx member, while Tommy Shaw, the new ringleader, joined for the band's sixth album. I have a little problem with this band calling themselves Styx. It might be a *good* concert, but although I may be in the minority, I cannot hear Styx without DeYoung. He sued to get the Styx name, and lost...a shame IMHO.

Can you think of any other Ghost Bands? Something like Creedence Clearwater Revisited (w/o Fogerty)?

A band like Fleetwood Mac wouldn't qualify, since the band is fundamentally the same, with only Christine McVie being absent. What about the Doobie Brothers without Michael McDonald to sing the later tracks? That's iffy.

What about Genesis? I say no. You could argue, if you're an early Genesis fan, that it's been a ghost band since Peter Gabriel left. :wink: After he left, Collins took over and their popularity actually grew...when Collins departed in 1997, they all considered it a "20 year experiment" with Collins singing lead. Would the Ray Wilson-era Genesis be a ghost band? Well...it only lasted one album (anyone remember "Congo"?)...but anyone in the band, past or present, would say that the songwriting core of Banks and Rutherford was a constant. Without a good lead singer, though....??

I'm not as big of a Classic Rock fan as I used to be. Nevertheless, I suppose I would be a purist and really want the group as we always knew it.

Members do retire (or get kicked out of or voluntarily leave bands, for whatever reason) so I suppose if there is at least one original member and if the band can still play the hits, then I guess this can be worth the price of admission.

Those myriad pale imitations of The Kigston Trio are what come to mind, right now.

I saw Blue Oyster Cult back in '98 and I suppose they're an example of this, though I think the group was intact; never knew if any line-up's ever differed. Oh, wait...I went there to meet Babes...!! :wave:

Dave

...with admittedly very mixed feelings...

It can get confusing...Blood, Sweat & Tears comes to mind...just who was the lead singer? Lessee....Al Kooper, Steve Katz, David Clayton-Thomas, Jerry Fuller, George Wadenius, Jerry LaCroix, and then David Clayton-Thomas again as the group finally went on what seemed to me to be a nostalgia tour. I used to love the group, but I got so bogged down in trying to follow who was singing what that I lost interest. Whatever happenned to them, anyway?

Dan

I got some free tickets to see today's version of ELO. It's not fronted by Jeff Lynne, needless to say, so I guess it would fall into your "Ghost Band" category. Nevertheless, they still put on a decent show, running through all of the crowd favorites. I probably wouldn't have paid for the tickets though.

Harry
NP: early morning silence

I suppose that I'm a purist in this regard. It doesn't matter so much to me if the drummer, or a guitarist is replaced, because there are lots of good musicians out there who can fill the void. But the lead singer is the heart and soul of any band, and if he/she is no longer present, then I'm not interested! Might as well go see an Elvis impersonator. :goodie: :wink:

Thank God that Richard Carpenter never found another alto singer, and went on the road as "Carpenters"...

Murray

I've been in Brian Setzer mode this morning. Interesting turn of events--when Setzer cut out from the Stray Cats, Rocker and Phantom found another guitarist/singer, but didn't go far with it. That would almost be "ghost band" material. These days, Lee Rocker (bass) has his own band, and Slim Jim Phantom now owns a rockabilly club and also appears in a band called 13 Cats. Setzer, of course, has his new Trio, as well as the Orchestra...so when the Stray Cats get back together this July 5th (Hootenany Festival, in Irvine CA), it's almost like a rockabilly "supergroup" getting back together. And to all of their credit, they've never tried to call another band "Stray Cats".

Countless other bands have lost lead singers and never really went anywhere afterward--look at J. Geils, the Commodores...one could even argue that Chicago hasn't been the same since Peter Cetera left.

Me too...with everything happening here, getting away even for a long weekend might not be able to happen. :sad: As a consolation, I'm just hoping at least the Setzer Trio rides through Detroit or nearby in Ohio sometime this summer. Don't see many tour dates on the calendar though.

Shoop, shoo-waaah...

It's happening to punk/new wave bads as well. Dead Kennedys are touring minus leader Jello Biafra. Without Jello is it really the Dead Kennedys? It's affected the Damned as well. Read about the Dead Kennedys fiasco at: www.irscorner.com/de/dk.html

--Mr Bill
noting a band doesn't even have to be dead for this to happen: Wall Of Voodoo sludged thru several albums after vocalist Stan Ridgway went solo... Stan was never as good as when he was leading WOV and WOV became a sorry shell of its former self...

Mr Bill said:
noting a band doesn't even have to be dead for this to happen: Wall Of Voodoo sludged thru several albums after vocalist Stan Ridgway went solo... Stan was never as good as when he was leading WOV and WOV became a sorry shell of its former self...

J. Geils Band comes to mind here--they did nothing after Peter Wolf left...and Peter Wolf really didn't make more than a couple of minor splashes before he went AWOL as well.

The old saying about the "sum of the parts being greater" certainly applies.

Sometimes it's a choice of whether you want to stick with your memories, staying home and playing the LPs with the original lineup, or get out of the house to see a live show. The latter is something I try to do at least once a month -- because it's fun and an excuse to get out of the house.
I've seen Styx once with Dennis and once without. Enjoyed both shows but prefered the show with Dennis because it was outdoors and included a generous amount of his solo work and keyboard artistry.
The Kingston trio has held together as well as can be expected, considering they started 45 years ago. Original Member Bob Shane is still there, and another original member, Nick Reynolds, toured until he retired in 1999. Banjo player George Grove has apx. 30 years with the group, replacing John Stewart. Original member Dave Guard died 12 years ago, Another replacement member died, replaced by Bob Haworth in the '80s. He came back when Reynolds left.
I can understand why many artists prefer remaining active to retirement, even though the hit making heyday is long past. Seeing them in a small venue or the county fair beats never seeing them at all and in many respects is more pleasurable than going to a crowded arena.
JB

Oh, yes! I remember seeing The Lettermen in concert. Tony Butala is the only founding member and constant of that group.

Suprised I haven't read anything about The Rolling Stones, yet. Of note, there is Brian Jones who, I think, was the first member to depart. (He drowned in his swimming pool) Bill Wyman retired about 12 years ago and the group sought to find a bass player to take his place. Other personnel changes there? :?:

Dave

I think if either Jagger or Richards quit the Stones, or even Charlie Watts, they'd probably quit. Not exactly a ghost band, but maybe an AARP band?? :wink:

Rudy said:
I think if either Jagger or Richards quit the Stones, or even Charlie Watts, they'd probably quit. Not exactly a ghost band, but maybe an AARP band?? :wink:

Yes, they do hold The Guinness Book Of World Records For Oldest Rock Group, or should, no? :wink:

START ME UP!!!!!

Dave

...From Steel Wheels, To Steel Wheelchairs... :wink:

"A band like Fleetwood Mac wouldn't qualify, since the band is fundamentally the same, with only Christine McVie being absent"

Technically for us old farts, Fleetwood Mac IS a Ghost Band - Peter Green was the driving force in their 'Blues-Rock' era (late 60's/early 70's) even though they weren't as commercially successful, with a great song like Oh Well and even better yet, Green Manalishi (With a Two-pronged Crown). How many out there remember that one? There I go, showing my age again....

Brasil_66_Fan said:
"A band like Fleetwood Mac wouldn't qualify, since the band is fundamentally the same, with only Christine McVie being absent"

Technically for us old farts, Fleetwood Mac IS a Ghost Band - Peter Green was the driving force in their 'Blues-Rock' era (late 60's/early 70's) even though they weren't as commercially successful, with a great song like Oh Well and even better yet, Green Manalishi (With a Two-pronged Crown). How many out there remember that one? There I go, showing my age again....

Don't forget ALBATROSS...

Dan

DAN BOLTON said:
It can get confusing...Blood, Sweat & Tears comes to mind...just who was the lead singer? Lessee....Al Kooper, Steve Katz, David Clayton-Thomas, Jerry Fuller, George Wadenius, Jerry LaCroix, and then David Clayton-Thomas again as the group finally went on what seemed to me to be a nostalgia tour.

Al Kooper mentions (on his site alkooper.com) that he is remastering one of the greatest albums ever, right now, at his home studio:
Blood Sweat and Tears "Child is the Father to the Man",
which includes another version of "Without Her".
I wonder if Herb Alpert decided to do the cut after hearing the Kooper/BST version.

You're dead on correct about that BST album. What a gem. My favorite cut is "Meagan's Gypsy Eyes," with "My Days are Numbered" as a close 2nd.
JB

Well, I'd say that the Rolling Stones are about as far from ghosts as you can get.

The concert that was televised from Madison Square Garden on HBO last January was, IMO, quite "alive" and shows that the Stones are second to none when it comes to playing the rock and roll that made them famous.

Right now, they are out on a world tour.

I'm very glad these guys are not lying down and "playing dead" so to speak. :wink: They are showing the world that they can still get the job done - better than most who are half their age. It proves that age is irrelevant and I'm gald, since I'm no longer a teenager either. :rolleyes:

Steven J. Gross said:
DAN BOLTON said:
It can get confusing...Blood, Sweat & Tears comes to mind...just who was the lead singer? Lessee....Al Kooper, Steve Katz, David Clayton-Thomas, Jerry Fuller, George Wadenius, Jerry LaCroix, and then David Clayton-Thomas again as the group finally went on what seemed to me to be a nostalgia tour.

Al Kooper mentions that he is remastering one of the greatest albums ever, right now, at his home studio:
Blood Sweat and Tears "Child is the Father to the Man",
which includes another version of "Without Her".
I wonder if Herb Alpert decided to do the cut after hearing the Kooper/BST version.

I dunno about Herb, but I DO know that this album will be in my collection when it's available. Not only is the music great, but the album cover is quite a concept in and of itself. Good news!

Dan

What is so bizarre is how effectively Peter Cetera, decendant of Et Cetera, has managed to be so successfully emulated, to the point to where I'm not certain if he really isn't still with Chicago (C.T.A.) Of course, Pete has long since become integral to their 'sound'. Of their various works, it's the fabulous "Ballet for a Girl From Bucannon" that inspires me to slurp the ole hookah...the meaning of the lyrics are continued with the titles of the instrumental segments. It may be tricky to get it, but once you do, the pure brilliance of trombonist James Pankow's little gem really becomes a complete send-up, making 'Ballet' one of Rockdom's greatest achievements, and also, Chicago, along with Bert Kaempfert, Brasil '66, and few others, have been responsible for stoking my interest in jazz. Now, for you Brubeckians out there, when you have the time, take a close listen to
"Kathy's Waltz", from "Time Out", and you may notice that it bears an eerie likeness to Macca (Paul McCartney's) classic "All My Loving", or at least for for the familiar opening line it does. Back to Chicago for a final comment, I'll mention that apparently, they are in a slow process of evolving into a new band, by introducing the members via their productions, so that currently, only Keyboardist Robert Lamm and their famous horn players are the original founding members.

Warm Wishes,
Steve, who now joins the T.J.B. Dudes in digging some classic 'Brass' recordings...lol. nomatter what groups come along, in the end, the Tijuana Brass •RULEZ• :D

Here's another "Ghost Band"-Badfinger. The group is now fronted by original guitarist Joey Molland who plays live shows with three other guys: bassist Mark Healy, keyboardist Steve Wozney, and drummer John Richardson. The band is now actually called, "Joey Molland's Badfinger" for copyright purposes. Different people have different opinions about it. Some people think it's Molland's attempt to cash in on the band's name and legacy and that he has no right to use the Badfinger name. Others think (as he thinks of himself) that Molland is "the keeper of the flame" and that despite the deaths of Pete and Tom Evans and his personal and legal battles with the group's other surviving former member, Mike Gibbins, Badfinger can go on. I've never seen them, but I've heard that they're just a stage act, playing the original group's hits to live audiences and that Joey Molland, not allowed to use the Badfinger name in the recording studio, makes solo albums. Supposedly, the band plays 12 shows a year. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom