• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Goodbye Bibi Vogel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brasil_Nut

Staff member
For those interested in the early days of Brasil '66, you already know that Brasilian actress and singer Bibi Vogel (who appears on the front cover of "Herb Alpert Presents: Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66") backed out at the last minute to be replaced by Janis Hansen.

Thus, I was saddened to learn that Bibi, who suffered with stomach cancer, passed away in her home on February 4th of this year. Per her wishes, she was cremated.

An interesting sideline:

--1965--

Bibi was married to the musician and professor of literature, the North American Bill Vogel, and was to live in the U.S.A. This was when Sergio Mendes created the musical group Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66, which was a great musical success.

In a September 1997 interview to the Mere reporter Teixeira, Bibi said: "My musical voice was very strong. We sang in Carnegie Hall, the United States, and we had a great debut. The experience with Sergio Mendes was strong. Therefore, I ran away; I turned. I was not prepared. Sergio said that I could not appear in Carnegie Hall, representative of the bossa nova, with braids in my hair. I had to cut them, but they were my identity. I needed to create another identity to enter Brasil '66. It was a requirement, I fell to the outside. I went on to other projects..."

And so, we sadly say goodbye to the ever-lovely Bibi Vogel. Our prayers go with her.

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom