• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Guitarist Domenic Troiano dies

Status
Not open for further replies.

AM Matt

Forum Undertaker
TORONTO (CP) - Guitar legend Domenic Troiano, hailed as one of the greats of the Canadian music scene, has lost a battle with cancer at the age of 59. Diagnosed with prostate cancer a decade ago, Troiano - once the lead guitarist for The Guess Who - had been in declining health for about seven months prior to his death. He died at his home late Wednesday night. Troiano catapulted to the top of the Canadian music world in the 1960s, his impressive skill with a guitar landing him integral roles with a number of bands. His unparalleled talent led him to replace Robbie Robertson as the lead guitarist for Ronnie Hawkins. He also took over for Randy Bachman in The Guess Who in the mid '70s. Over the years, he also played with The Mandala, Bush (NOT Gavin Rossdale's group but the group who was on Dunhill/ABC back in 1970) and The James Gang (replacing Joe Walsh in 1972). "His absolute skill as a musician, certainly in the '60s, it was unsurpassed," said Larry LeBlanc, the Canadian bureau chief for Billboard magazine and Troiano's close friend of 40 years. "Everybody wanted to be Troiano." Toronto broadcaster John Donabie interviewed "Donnie," as Troiano was known to close friends, in the 1960s when Troiano played with The Mandala. "He could play anything," said Donabie. "And he was so good at it." Despite earning the spotlight as a top guitarist during the '60s and '70s, and lending his talents to recordings for Diana Ross, Joe Cocker, Etta James and countless others, LeBlanc said celebrity never went to Troiano's head. "He was the antithesis of a star. He was a musician's musician and that's the way everybody looked toward him," LeBlanc said. "He was one of the most loving, most caring people I think I have ever known," Donabie said. "It's a great, great loss." Troiano was born in Italy in 1946 and became a naturalized Canadian in 1955. He was raised in Toronto, where, except for a short stint in Los Angeles in the 1970s, he made his home until his death. He was married briefly to singer Shawne Jackson, but the couple divorced about 10 years ago. Until he was diagnosed with cancer, LeBlanc said Troiano's life was his music. "This guy was a workaholic," LeBlanc said. "Domenic Troiano lived for making music." In 1984, Troiano added TV work to his lengthy resume, writing themes and incidental music for television shows, including Night Heat (which was also on CBS in the late '80s on late night), Diamonds and Hot Shots. It was dedication to his craft that earned him a spot in the Canadian Music Hall Of Fame back in 1996 (along with John Kay of Steppenwolf, Denny Doughty of The Mamas And The Papas & David Clayton-Thomas of Blood, Sweat & Tears) and inspired many of Canada's musicians. "Every guitar player in Canada knows of Domenic Troiano." said LeBlanc. "And most of the guitar players in Canada will sit back and pause a bit today." A tribute is planned for him at next month's jazz awards in Toronto. He leaves his mother, brother and sister. Visitation will be held on the weekend at R.S. Kane Funeral Home in north Toronto, and a funeral is planned for Monday at 10 a.m. at St. Luke's Parish in Thornhill, Ontario. (written by Erin Henderson) There are only three CD's of the late Domenic Troiano including "20th Century Masters: The Millennium Collection" (including The Mandala, Bush, The James Gang & solo material) which came out in 2003 (Universal Music), "Fret Fever" (Capitol) from 1979 & "Toronto Sound" (reissues of Domenic Troiano from 1972 & "Testify" from 1973) on Mercury which came out in 1999 all on Canadian import. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

I don't know much about him, but his work with the Guess Who was excellent. He was in the band during the POWER IN THE MUSIC album (that's the first album of theirs I owned), which had one of their best (IMHO) singles, "Rosanne." Some great guitar work on that song and the whole album.

I have owned a copy of Troiano's Fret Fever, which I bought a new, unsold copy of (may have been in a cut-out bin) which I sure wish I kept now--hard to believe it would be REALLY worth something in this case... Troiano's group BUSH included bassist Prakash John and drummer Whitey Glan, who made one LP on Dunhill/ABC, which I frequently see at a record show, and I thought it was priced a bit too high BEFORE Dominic's untimely death, despite being the ABC Collector I still am... He was also a "second guitarist" on the Alice Cooper guitarist's 1978 album, Richard Wagner, and had been known to tour with The Guess Who, in addition to recording with them, and even was in another Canadian group, from Vancouver, Skylark, though mainly in a Live version, touring with them, and recorded and toured with The James Gang, as well... Shawn Jackson is a Canadian R&B Singer, who had a brief hit with "Just As Bad As You", which I still often hear; I didn't know Dominic was married to her, but I do know he produced and played on most of her other albums...

A very sad passing for guitar enthusiasts everywhere! :cry:

Dave

I am a huge Guess Who fan, and while some Guess Who fans turn up their noses at the 2 albums he played on (Flavours & Power In The Music) I love them both, especially since they are finally on cd. His solo material is great, as is his tenure with The James Gang. He will be greatly missed.

NJB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom