• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

HA & TJB + BMB 2-for-1 concept

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike

In a previous contribution I discussed walking to work while listening to Fandango on a portable CD player. Since then I’ve been doing a different album each morning and after work on the return home. This morning while I was listening to the BMB’s “Rides Again” album, I started thinking about making a concept 2-for-1 CD-R. The idea is the first LP on the CD-R will be the Baja Marimba Band, followed by a second LP from Herb Alpert & the TJB. The concept is that the BMB is the opening act for HA & TJB – just like the old days.
One might ask: Why would I want to do this? Well, you’ve got 80 minutes on a CD-R, which is plenty of room for 2 of the early released A&M LP’s. When I tried two HA & TJB back-to-back it was too much. I put “Warm” and “Summertime” on a CD-R and it was a little overwhelming. I think I read one submission where the contributor thought 12 songs per album for one artist is ideal: I agree.
One might also ask: Why not just make up a compilation of mixed BMB & TJB songs to fill up an 80 minute CD-R? I’m not fond of “Best of” CD’s – even though I do have plenty of them. I like the idea of making a commitment to the artist (if worthy) to listen to a complete album from start to finish. I prefer to sit through the whole recording taking the good with the bad, if there is any bad. I treat an LP like a good cigar; I make the time to smoke the whole thing in one sitting.
So… my next step is to pair up BMB LP’s with appropriate HA & TJB LP’s. Sticking with the concept that the BMB is the opening act I want the following TJB LP to be a good second act.

Example: “BMB Rides Again” paired with “The Beat Of The Brass”

Anybody have any recommendations for pairings or comments on my 2-for-1 concept?

By the way: While I was listening to “Rides Again” this morning the “Woody Woodpecker” song started playing. That song is so joyful and bouncy, I caught myself sort of hopping and skipping down the sidewalk – I practically started doing a Gene Kelly copycat like from an old musical. Fortunately it was early and I regained my self-control before anyone saw me and freaked out. Hey, I’m 49 and having a great time – life is good!

I think you'd want to follow up RIDES AGAIN with a different TJB album. BEAT is more jazzy, it really says "different era" than that Baja album.

If I was doing this concept, I would either put the BMB's THOSE WERE THE DAYS in front of BEAT OF THE BRASS; or, I would put SOUTH OF THE BORDER behind RIDES AGAIN.

Another thought: You could put a Sergio Mendes album in front of a TJB, since the two groups toured together. That'd give you even more variety in the sound, and you'd hear the "future Mrs. Alpert."

Making compilations is fun. I made an Alpert/TJB CD featuring Herb's vocals, and it's surprisingly good.

Yokosuka Mike said:
While I was listening to “Rides Again” this morning the “Woody Woodpecker” song started playing. That song is so joyful and bouncy, I caught myself sort of hopping and skipping down the sidewalk!

So that was you -- I thought I saw you while I was down there at yesterday! :tongue:

One of my favorite comps to make is what I call a "connections" comp. Sort of a "six degrees of separation" on CD. The challenge is to loan it to a friend and see of he can figure out the connections between the songs. It can be songwriter, session player, other bands members were in, label, inter-personal connections, studio recorded in -- just about anything. In each "set list" you have to set the parameters. If I made one that was all A&M acts, obviously using the label as a connection would be off limits.

Here's an example (feel free to post the connections once you have them all figured out -- no partial lists) parameters to be aware of in this set list:
1-you can slip through time to anywhere in a given artist's catalog &
2-record label cannot be a connection

Michael Boddicker "Make It Funky" from the LP Buck Rogers Original Soundtrack
Herb Alpert "African Summer" from the LP Herb Alpert/Hugh Masekela
Letta Mbulu "There's Music In The Air" from the LP There's Music In The Air
Gato Barbieri "Behind the Rain" from the LP Caliente
Herb Alpert & the TJB "Fire & Rain" single-only B-side
Carly Simon "Nobody Does It Better" from The Spy Who Loved Me Soundtrack
Groucho Marx "Hooray for Captain Spaulding" from the album An Evening With Groucho
Phil Ochs "Mona Lisa" from Gunfight
Natalie Cole "Unforgettable" from the LP Greatest Hits
Pisano & Ruff "Stop" from the LP Pisano & Ruff

--Mr Bill

I don't have the albums handy here right now, but I'm going to take a stab at this. SPOILERS! If anyone wants to figure out out on their own, please skip quickly past this post or just hit "Reply" to give it a shot!

I've skipped the ones I didn't have time to think through. Rood's heading out the door in a minute. :wink:

Michael Boddicker "Make It Funky" from the LP Buck Rogers Original Soundtrack
Herb Alpert "African Summer" from the LP Herb Alpert/Hugh Masekela

Boddicker has played on Alpert's albums.

Letta Mbulu "There's Music In The Air" from the LP There's Music In The Air

African connection to Herb/Hugh album (Mbulu is an African musician). Since "African Summer" was recorded before the album, I'm unsure if Mbulu would have been a side musician or song co-author here. (Can't check right now, alas... :sad: )

Gato Barbieri "Behind the Rain" from the LP Caliente
Herb Alpert & the TJB "Fire & Rain" single-only B-side

Easy one. :wink:

Carly Simon "Nobody Does It Better" from The Spy Who Loved Me Soundtrack

Herb appears in a 007 movie title theme (albeit not an official 007 franchise movie), as does Simon.

Groucho Marx "Hooray for Captain Spaulding" from the album An Evening With Groucho
Phil Ochs "Mona Lisa" from Gunfight
Natalie Cole "Unforgettable" from the LP Greatest Hits

"Mona Lisa" was a hit for Natalie's father. (Although, I don't know if Ochs' song is the same one or not.)

Pisano & Ruff "Stop" from the LP Pisano & Ruff

[/quote]

Since no one seems to want to play 'cept ol' Rudy (and he's on the right track with most of his guesses) I'll post the answers Sunday evening or near that time...

--Mr Bill
inviting others to come up with their own...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom