Hank Williams Jr. & campaign musicians

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
It's mid-term election season again, folks, and big bucks are being spent to entice our votes as usual. Today I, and apx. 4,000 others, attended a free ice cream/political rally/concert event for U.S. Senate Candidate Lamar Alexander. He's an ex-TN governor and served as sec. of education under Bush Sr's administration. The retirement of Sen. Fred Thompson has the parties scurrying to capture (or retain) this seat toward securing a majority, so the stakes are high.
Alexander is in a primary race with Rep. Ed Bryant, while Rep. Bob Clement has the Democratic nomination fairly well secured. That's why the primary is consuming big bucks, in ads and promotions like today's event.
The main attraction was Country star Hank Williams Jr., who's making several appearances on Alexander's behalf. It's hard to know who for whom the large turnout was for. Williams sang 8 tunes accompanying himself on guitar, and Alexander made a brief but fervent speech on why he should be nominated, etc.
That was about it, but considering the blistering heat, 2 hours was enough.
I just wondered what other acts were on the stump this year for national and statewide races. And if the entertainment adds to or distracts from the message.
After all, who's going to turn down free ice cream and a free show on a hot Sunday afternoon?
JB

A question for the ages: What's the position of each of these candidates on consumers' rights in the digital age? Are any of them along the lines of Rep. Rick Boucher -- or do they agree with the RIAA-MPAA position that fair use is a "privilege" instead of a right, and thus must be completely obliterated, with "copy-protection" this or that which, I've noticed, is maliciously discriminatory, exclusionary and prejudicial in the way it's applied (i.e. against all consumers)?

Great question, William! And this is a topic that does not seem to follow the party ideology of either of the two major parties. There seems to be as many from each party for it as against it. The Dems usually in bed with the media on one hand and "being for the regular guy" on the other and The Reps supporting Big Business on one hand yet wanting the Government out of our lives as much as possible on the other. I think this is one where each of us is going to have to ask the nominees in our individual districts where they stand. But be careful -- those who vote based on a single issue, usually get bit on the ass when it comes to other issues and wonder what happened...

--Mr Bill
who knows the Libertarians are the only ones on our side on this issue, lock, stock and barrel...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom