HELP: sleeve cat# 1H-7-POP

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbwitte

I've got this sleeve here, and all I know is that it's A&M, and reads "1H-7-POP" (not a standard A&M catalogue #) on the back top right-hand corner. I'd just assume it was a regular generic A&M catalogue sleeve (with other current A&M LPs advertised on the back) probably mid- to late-'60s, except for the fact that it has a photo of this Latin-looking statue on the front side and two smaller photos of it on the back, which leads me to believe it's either Herb Alpert or Sergio Mendez. It appears to be a hand-painted white ceramic cactus, but has leaves and red fruit, with two figures--one male, one female--standing at the bottom of it.

If anyone can tell me what LP this sleeve is from I'd be very grateful, because I found it in an Aretha Franklin jacket, and I'm certain that's wrong.

Thanks...
Ryan

Hi Ryan. Welcome to the A&M Corner! What you have is one of the generic sleeves A&M used from about 1969 to 70. The statue is a representation of Adam and Eve and I can't find any reference to the 'who', 'when' or 'where' of the sculpture, though I'm sure it will have an interesting story.

--Mr Bill
currently working on both updating his www.irscorner.com and finishing the "long-ago-started" web page of A&M's generic LP/45 sleeve and generic label history...

rbwitte said:
I've got this sleeve here, and all I know is that it's A&M, and reads "1H-7-POP" (not a standard A&M catalogue #) on the back top right-hand corner. I'd just assume it was a regular generic A&M catalogue sleeve (with other current A&M LPs advertised on the back) probably mid- to late-'60s, except for the fact that it has a photo of this Latin-looking statue on the front side and two smaller photos of it on the back, which leads me to believe it's either Herb Alpert or Sergio Mendes. It appears to be a hand-painted white ceramic cactus, but has leaves and red fruit, with two figures--one male, one female--standing at the bottom of it.

If anyone can tell me what LP this sleeve is from I'd be very grateful, because I found it in an Aretha Franklin jacket, and I'm certain that's wrong.

Well, maybe THAT'S where it belongs. :laugh: I was pretty much attracted to the sleeves inside A&M LP's, as well as the albums that were on them. A&M seemed to have a "BUY MY ALBUMS! ad campaign" going on with them. Sometimes I wonder how as the label grew, how the company really determined which LP's were the most appropriate to put on the sleeves. The IH-7-POP sleeve even has Herb's "Lonely Bull" on it, and is that far into the years A&M had been in business. My favorite sleeve is the one succeeding it, IH-7-NS. It features LP's by Procol Harum and Joe Cocker that I never would have thought of trying. It also introduced me to Phil Ochs and a few obscure artists are on it, too. Such as Joanne Vent, John Bradden (whose albums I have) and The Churls who made two LP's I'm still trying to find. There is also a Canadian made sleeve, which if you're lucky to find, (I've got TWO I'm using) will go much deeper into the catalog and (Don't say I didn't warn you! :tongue: ) even have that second Churls album.

rbwitte said:
Thanks...
Ryan

Dave

...And You're WELCOME!... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom