• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Herb Alpert documentary at SXSW festival in Austin

Status
Not open for further replies.
kenny said:
I was checking out the SXSW.com (South By Southwest Music Festival in Austin Texas) and came across a Herb Alpert documentary that is going to play several times during the film festival.
Maybe Captain Bacardi will be able to attend?

Here's a link to the site (I hope it works)

http://www.sxsw.com/film/screenings/index.php?dvsearch=show&dvserialnum=914

Kenny

Thanks for the heads-up Kenny. The only problem is that SXSW is a nightmare event in Austin. You have to have these wristbands to get into anything, and that's a major headache. But I'll have a talk with a few people and see if I can get in somewhere to see it.

Capt. Bacardi

I see the film festival part starts the weekend before the music part so maybe it won't be too crazy at that point.

Jay Maynes/Juan Oskar said:
A documentary on Mr. Alpert's paintings sounds boring.

I don't know, it says that he scored the music to this film, and shows how he uses music to inspire his paintings and sculptures. I think that would be interesting to see. Who knows, maybe this music is part of a new record to be released later.

I also just thought about the recognition this documentary would generate for Herb. SXSW is one of those Sundance kind of things for movies (and a battle-of-the-bands thing for music). This could end up on the Bravo or IFC channels (for digital cable users) in the near future. Maybe a new generation of fans for Herb will develop.

Capt. Bacardi
NP: Steely Dan - Live In '94

If this is Music For Your Eyes, I saw it in New York last year.

If you're not interested in modern art, you won't get much from it other than the soundtrack. If you like modern art, you'll enjoy the film. It shows how Alpert paints and how he takes a sculpture from a small wax model, shaped by a blowtorch to a full size artwork. I found it fascinating.

Alpert has been painting for over thirty years and is properly recognised artist in his own right. If anyone is unfamilair with his work, look at www.imagehold.com.

Jay, the documentary certainly wasn't boring. It was one of the many highspots of my US trip last year!!

Stephen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom