• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

🎵 12" SotW Herb Alpert, "Rotation" SP-12032

Rudy

¡Que siga la fiesta!
Staff member
Site Admin
This week's 12" SOTW is an extended version of Herb Alpert's "Rotation." Notable for this release are custom labels on each side, and a clear vinyl pressing. The "hit" side worked into the graphics of the packaging, for which the clear vinyl also contributed to the effect (inside printing shows through). Unfortunately, clear vinyl does not wear well (being a bit softer than black vinyl back in the day), and the sleeve had an oversized opening that exposed some of the grooves to the elements. So, it will be difficult to find a clean copy of this unless it has been stored in a better sleeve.

The flip side is the album track "Angelina," and the label on this side gives the credits for the songs on both sides.

Luckily, I found this version on YouTube for those who have not yet heard it. The image in the video appears to be on a red vinyl pressing; you can tell from the catalog numbers that it is an overseas release.

Here is the label and clear vinyl:

a.jpeg

This is one of those songs I need to be in the proper mood to hear. I really like the production on it... it's one of those songs that would be hard to put across in concert and have it be as good as the record.

Probably my 4th favorite track on the Rise album, after the title tune, "Aranjuez" and "1980."

I actually like this version of "Rotation" a bit better than the LP version, just because the solo doesn't fade out as quickly at the end. This is my favorite track from Rise. I still remember when this version of the single was released as one of our local AOR stations - KLBJ - would play this quite a bit. This was when radio was fun to listen to. KLBJ was primarily a rock station but would also play fusion and some hip R&B tunes. So you would hear in one set back then tunes from Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Jackson Browne, Beatles, Rolling Stones, then they would shift to Weather Report, Al DiMeola, Pat Metheny, then back to Steely Dan then maybe Stevie Wonder or Sly & The Family Stone. So "Rotation" got some airplay during the fusion set. I remember this one DJ saying "believe it or not, that was Herb Alpert, and we're getting a lot of calls about this track. It's a favorite here at KLBJ." I sure do miss those good radio days....

This is one of the few (Are there any more?) Herb Alpert 12" mixes that had any kind of CD release. Shout! Factory put out a promotional CD that included the new 2007 remix for "Aranjuez (Mon Amour)" and it also included the "Rotation - original 12" Remix" as the second track. Shout! sent them out to radio stations and then made some available to people who purchased the new RISE CD from their website for a limited time.

Herb-Alpert-Remixes-From-Rise-410793.jpg

Steve S. who tipped us off about this (along with Goldwax) tells us that this was sourced from the original vinyl.

Harry

I'm quite fond of this extended version also. The break in the middle is longer, and has a longer playout at the end that's very satisfying. Though I have the same complaint about the clear vinyl on this. While it's very cool looking and the sleeve and label graphics are cool, but if you lose that clear poly vinyl inner sleeve you're gonna wind up with a damaged record.

Mine did not come with a sleeve, but fortunately it was still a decent copy. Have to at least put these into a paper sleeve or better yet, use a standard twelve inch jacket to cushion the grooves better.

My "Rotation" 12-inch still has the poly inner-sleeve as well as still being shrink-wrapped, so it still sounds pretty decent for a clear vinyl record.

Harry

Love this version. I've got a sealed copy of this one at home. Bought it with every intention of opening and enjoying it. Too much time passed... not touching it now. Might have a shrink wrapped VG- play-copy buried somewhere too.

I'd definitely keep that one copy sealed. (When I keep something sealed, I call it a "retirement fund" disc. :D ) I never saw a new copy locally, so never even had a copy until 15 or so years after the fact! (Yet, you'd see new copies of "Rise" in the bins for a few years.)

Back
Top Bottom