• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Herb & Lani At Vibrato-Photos & Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Sidoruk

Founder, A&M Fan Net
Staff member
Herb_Lani_Poster.jpg

VIBRATO_AD.jpg

Vibrato_Spec_Menu.jpg

DSC_0203b.jpg

DSC_0016b.jpg

DSC_0034b.jpg

DSC_0192b.jpg

DSC_0194b.jpg

DSC_0199b.jpg

DSC_0201b.jpg

DSC_0207b.jpg

DSC_0214b.jpg

DSC_0217b.jpg

DSC_0021b.jpg

DSC_0254b.jpg

Review:

Well, the pictures above clearly prove it - Herb Alpert and Lani Hall really are back. Having seen them perform many times over the years, I can assure you - they still have it! And to my ears, “it” is better than ever! But, more on this later.

For the six dates they played over the last three weeks, tables at Vibrato were sold out and there was standing room only. Sound familiar? In fact, it was reported that last night (May 2) hundreds were turned away at the door.

These performances had been the subject of much talk and speculation for some time now. Everyone I talked to thought that it was a good idea, but when nothing materialized, we began to think that it was just the rumor mill working overtime. Well, as the saying goes, good things come to those who wait. Herb and Lani back on stage is definitely a good thing!

Herb has always surrounded himself with top musicians – especially one of the best female vocalists that he teamed up with some years back. This time is no exception. The band: Bill Cantos on piano, Hussain Jiffry on bass and Michael Shapiro on drums and percussion. If these names seem familiar, they should be. Recently, they have all played for Sergio Mendes. But more than that, they have individually played for a literal who’s who of music.

Herb, Lani and this band had a synergy - defined as the interaction of two or more agents or forces so that their combined effect is greater than the sum of their individual effects. From the quietest passages of one of Lani’s ballads to the driving sound of them all going at full throttle, they were really tight and the sound was fantastic. What’s more, they appeared to be having a great time.

Herb’s unmistakable trumpet sound was clear and strong. His sound has aged like a fine wine. Lani’s ability to sing those up-tempo songs with Portuguese lyrics always amazes me. But that’s what has been the attraction for me, since her days as lead singer with Brasil ’66. The question was, with a voice this beautiful, why has it taken so long to be able to hear it again?

The band got opportunities to solo and Herb and Lani clearly enjoyed what they were hearing – as were the rest of us. All three being superior players, they did not disappoint.

Herb was relaxed and quite funny. He quipped that he got to hear one of Lani’s songs in the shower. He also asked the audience if they knew how to make a million dollars playing jazz? The answer: start with two million dollars!

Herb played and sang I’ve Grown Accustomed To Her Face to Lani. On Tuesday night, he ended it by slyly inserting a few notes from This Guy’s In Love With You. On Wednesday night we had a bonus track – they came back for a second encore and played Lani’s Happy Woman.

The set lasted about 80 minutes. Anyone with even simple math skills can figure out that this is more than enough to fill up a CD. Will there be one? Will they perform more? Who knows? But, I did get a chance to tell Herb that they should record and tour. Maybe your positive comments here will help them decide.

Set List – May 1 & 2

Berimbau (DeMoraes, Gilbert, Powell)
Night & Day (Porter)
Pararaio (Djavan)
Wild Is The Wind (Tiomkin, Washington)
Paper Moon (Arlen, Harburg, Rose)
Let’s Face The Music
Morning Coffee (Bill Cantos)
Who Are You (Bill Cantos)
I’ve Grown Accustomed To Her Face (Lerner, Loew)
Dinorah (Lins) / Morning (Clare Fischer)
Laura

Encore:
You Go To My Head (Coots, Gillespie) / Like A Lover (Alan Bergman, Marilyn Bergman, Dori Caymmi, Nelson Motta)
Jobim Medley: Corcovado, Triste, One Note Samba

Second Encore (May 2):
Happy Woman (Peter Cetera)

VIBRATO_SET_LIST.jpg

Herb Alpert – Trumpet and vocals
Lani Hall – Vocals
Bill Cantos – Piano
Hussain Jiffry – Bass
Michael Shapiro – Drums and percussion

DSC_0255b.jpg

(l-r: Jon Konjoyan, Steve Sidoruk, Herb, Stephen Vakil, Lani)

Performance photos copyright © Steve Sidoruk 2007 – all rights reserved – may not be reproduced without permission.

I was kidding about the 2008. This event just seemed to have popped up. What do we know about the performances. Is this the live recording etc. we were hearing about? later.......J

Wow! Thanks for the photos, Steve! Interesting set list. Not at all what I would have expected. Herb and Lani still look great!

Capt. Bacardi
...jealous, online...

Steve- do you know Jon Konjoyan? He is a very nice man. Quite a Carpenters fan, too, I might add!

Yes, Jon has been a friend for almost 20 years. He is a former A&M Promotion guy and obviously a big fan of Herb & Lani.

Great photos! Will this live performance be out on CD? Also, will this prompt Herb and Lani to finally make their long awaited standards cd?

Very nice set list. I am a bit surprised that Herb didn't revisit any of his "heyday" songs at all, but he's in a different place now than he was then.

Another vote here for a CD and/or DVD release. (Maybe a double sided disk!)

Hi Steve

Great review - I couldn't have put it better myself. The whole band was a real star act and Herb and Lani could not have sounded better. The two evenings were, for me, the high spot of having listended to their music for over thirty five years. Herb's horn was clear as a bell and his improvisations lyrical. Lani's voice was gorgeous.

For those who haven't been to Vibrato, I'd recommend it for the food alone but the staff are friendly and attentive and the ambience just right. If only it was my "local".

It was really good to hang out with you for the last couple days!!

Till the next time.............

Safe trip

Stephen

Thanks for the review and pics! Those must have been magical evenings, indeed.

Count me among those who'd love to see/hear these performances on DVD or CD. Or more concert dates. Either is fine. I'm not picky. :wink:

I've seen Bill Cantos live before with his own band (and his wife - Mari Falcone, who is extremely talented as well), so I can imagine how good the band was if that's the caliber of players Herb lined up.

Hey Steve:

Thanks for the review of the concert! Hundreds turned away?!! I can't believe it!! Sold out?!! Man, that's something! I honestly didn't know that Herb was still popular after all these years! And Lani as well!! I'm glad California gave them that much love! I really hope that they do take your advice, and make a new album, and go on the road(or select cities), and do their thing!

If they came to New York, they'd probably play at The Blue Note, or The Supper Club, or even Birdland, but one thing's for sure: I'd definitely like to be there where ever they show up! Thanks again for the review!

Oh yeah, were there any celebrities in the audience? I know that Clint Eastwood, Burt Reynolds are big jazz fans, so that's why I asked. Were there anybody from the A&M days? Like Quincy Jones? Sting? Richard Carpenter? Anymore former a&M acts to come out and show support for Herb and Lani? Just want to know!

jazzdre said:
Hey Steve:

Thanks for the review of the concert! Hundreds turned away?!! I can't believe it!! Sold out?!! Man, that's something! I honestly didn't know that Herb was still popular after all these years! And Lani as well!! I'm glad California gave them that much love! I really hope that they do take your advice, and make a new album, and go on the road(or select cities), and do their thing!

If they came to New York, they'd probably play at The Blue Note, or The Supper Club, or even Birdland, but one thing's for sure: I'd definitely like to be there where ever they show up! Thanks again for the review!

Herb sells out all the time- big and small venues. He is a living legend.

Celebs? Last time I was at the Vibrato, Michael Caine was at the next table. It's a cool haunt.

Really, REALLY wish I could have been there (if only to hear Herb sing "I've Grown Accustomed to Your Face" live), but the BBC have this totally and utterly unreasonable requirement that I host my show 5 days a week.....pshaw!!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh!!! Congratulations to Lani (the owner of a very sweet voice) and Herb Alpert because they came back to their performances on stage. And remember, Lani gives off honey and roses when she sings :tongue:

What a fine report and great pictures, too!! You are very lucky to get to attend the clubs dates ... and I'm lucky you chose to share. Thanks!

Count my vote as yes for the development of a new CD or DVD.
Herb and Lani look great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom