• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Herb & Lani Buy A House In Hawaii

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brasil_Nut

Staff member
The Saturday, June 28th, 2003 issue of the Honolulu Star Bulletin reported the following:

Herb Alpert of Tijuana Brass fame and wife, singer Lani Hall, bought a Kahala property for over $2 million from Sandwich Isles Realty's Carl Smigielski. Mary Philpotts is remodeling. Herb was in Neiman's this week, chatting with salesman and ex-musician Denny Tanaka ...

I'll bet this will be a beautiful slice of paradise when Herb and Lani are through remodeling...good for them! :wink:

Jon

...who once lived in and loves the Kahala district of Honolulu, online...

Kathy said:
$2 Billion, eh?!

No...it's $2 million. Regardless the amount, Kahala is a beautiful part of Honolulu -- near Diamond Head, quiet and secluded. I say, good for Lani and Herb...grass shack or not! :wink:

Jon

...making sure the price is right, online...

I wonder if this is a "part time" residence, or if he is moving permanently from California?

Last I heard, Herb was living In Malibu, California...I wonder if he's keeping that residence, or making a permanent relocation?

My family stayed at the Kahala Mandarin hotel not long ago. It was the one splurge of our Hawaiian vacation that had been paid for largely by frequent flyer miles. It was $750 a night (with room service and other charges that took it north of $1,000).

Herb and Lani's picture was on the wall of fame (though she wasn't referenced in the caption). The area is very nice, and I'm sure his residence will be in an area unaccessable to commoners.

But as places to live go, I found it to be insufferably crowded --- traffic jams were even worse than here in Atlanta --- and not nearly as nice as Maui. But it's probably more private than Malibu and beaches are nicer.

Kahala can, indeed, become congested at times. When I lived there, from '69 - '71 (my Father, an executive with Nordstrom, oversaw the construction and opening of Liberty House in the Ala Moana Shopping Center), Kahala wasn't nearly as developed or congested. As with the rest of the Island, every year brings more houses, more shopping centers, more resorts -- massive development and more people. The International Market Place (Kalakaua Avenue, downtown) is a shadow of what it used to be. However, there is a culture in Hawaii and it will always be there. Locals and native-born Hawaiians see to this -- thank goodness.

Regardless of how congested the area becomes, how much it grows with each and every year, it's still a wonderful place. I visit yearly, hang with my friends and spend the majority of my time away from the Waikiki District. We spend the majority of our time at the home of a friend. Waikiki is for nightlife and shopping -- the beach (for us) is private. Oahu is a lot more fun if you know how to enjoy it.

Whether Herb and Lani make this their regular home or a get-away, good for them. They couldn't have chosen a nicer place.

Jon

...whose name is pronounced Keone in Hawaiian, online...

Congratulations to Herb and Lani on their soon to be new residence in Kahala, Hawaii. Ahhhh, I can hear the sound of Julius and the Martin Denny group playing!

Tom (who's never been to Hawaii but did watch Hawaiian Eye in the 60's)
:)

Man! I never made the connection!! I can hear Martin and Julius playing amidst an exotic ocean breeze!!! After all, this is where Denny got his start.

Interesting sideline: I once read that in the early days of Martin's band, he played a set in an open-air venue. Apparently, the "native" birds and frogs chimed in with the music. Following the set, the club manager said to Denny, "Hey! That was great with the frogs and bird-calls! Do it again!!" And this (I hear) is how the idea of Denny's famous "animal sounds" came into being.

Being the retro-tiki-exotica fan that I am, I'll bet Honolulu was a virtual paradise in the late '50s to early '60s...a perfect environment for the music and legend that is Martin Denny!

Jon

...reflecting upon a once Quiet Village, online...

What do you think? With a two million dollar casa in Honolulu is he going to be doing more trumpet playing or painting? I know, the TJB sound is truly history. :cry: Later...Jay

You never know. Maybe Herb will get some inspiration by hanging out in Hawaii. Remember, it was in Waikiki that Herb got the idea for "What Now My Love".

Capt. Bacardi
...who will be in Honolulu next summer, online...

Jay Maynes/Juan Oskar said:
What do you think? ...is he going to be doing more trumpet playing or painting? I know, the TJB sound is truly history. :cry: Later...Jay

I don't know... Herb Alpert/Martin Denny The Duets sounds like a winner to me!

--Mr Bill
who was surprised to see a video tribute from Mr Denny at last year's Julius Tribute as I thought Denny was no longer with us...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom