• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Herb on NPR

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichardWarner

Contributor
Quoting on the issue of a "lost" Stan Getz Album on Verve, produced by Herb:

Jan. 11, 2004 -- In 1989, two years before his death from cancer, tenor saxophonist Stan Getz entered the studio with producer Herb Alpert and an all-star rhythm section, booked for multiple sessions over four days. For Getz it was a routine gig with one exception: he would be sober and drug-free.

The sessions, shelved soon after in favor of a more ambitious project, have only recently resurfaced in the A&M vaults. Alpert supervised the September 2003 release of Bossas and Ballads: The Lost Sessions, which features nine tracks from those recordings.

NPR's Liane Hansen asked Alpert about his friendship with the notoriously difficult Getz -- known as "The Sound" for his distinctive, smoky tone.

"He hadn't played under those conditions before," Alpert says of the 1989 sessions. "He always felt if he wasn't stoned... then he couldn't express himself in the same fashion. And he found out that he could and it really didn't change."

Alpert was initially reluctant to work with Getz due to the sax player's bad reputation. But Getz, in his early 60s and fighting illness, decades of heroin addiction and other demons, persisted. He cited his sobriety and his concerted efforts to make amends to the musicians and friends he had hurt over the years.

Alpert consented, and in March of 1989 Getz was joined by pianist Kenny Barron, Czech bassist George Mraz and drummer Victor Lewis at A&M Recording Studios in Hollywood. Alpert says that Getz was "a little skittish" but warmed up considerably after the first day.

Over the next two years, Getz purchased a house next door to Alpert's Malibu home.

When Alpert was reminded of the tapes that became Bossas and Ballads, his first reaction was sadness. His good friend was gone. But as he listened to the master recordings, "I found something beautiful in each take. What a blessing to know him and to be his friend."

The interview is airing as I type. I'm sure it will be archived on the NPR site.

Another interesting thing--CD is on, as they called it, A&M/Verve records. Hmmm......

The A&M/Verve connection is due to some kind of half-baked agreement that Verve would release A&M's jazz and (presumably) Brazilian recordings. Verve is sort of a blanket label for any type of jazz music at Universal. Save for GRP, which is now peddled as a "$moooth Jazz" branded product.

Geez-one of the few times I slept through Weekend Edition Sunday,which does for me what many receive from CBS Sunday Morning,A&E's Art Sunday,etc. The perfect additon to a cup of coffee, egg bagel and the Sunday paper. I still cannot get through for the Sunday interview,so I'm settling for the optional "Fresh Air" inteview Terry Gross conducted with Getz in 1990. Another sublime dialogue from Ms. Gross. Interesting note that Liane Hansen spent the last few weeks of 2003(as she did in 2002)lamenting the lack of certain artists/albums/songs not currently available for sale to the public. Imagine this interview ending: "Hey,Mr. Alpert,before you go,how about shedding some light as to the future of your own catalog?" Mac

The Hansen/Alpert interview was nice but not necessarily enlightening. Here's Herb-as Stans' producer,a successful musician and record exec in his own right and deep inside a fan of Stan's sound and Herb can't describe the magic either. Makes me feel a little better since I've always just been a fan on the sidelines but I,too, will continue to be in awe of Stan's sound. Like another idol,Bill Evans,Stan's drug addiction shortened his time on earth. Like Bill,he excelled in the ballad mode. And yet,the couple of meetings between Stan & Bill(at least what is available to the public) were unsatisfying experiences(Bill refused to allow Verve to release their sole studio meeting-it came out after Bill died). Also,though both seemed to live a life of melancholy,it is their music,more than any others,that I turn to when blue. The wonder and the power of music. Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom