Herb Talbert and the Tijuana Tin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocketman

I wonder how many of you remember 'Herb Talbert and the Tijuana Tin' appearing on the episode of Get Smart where Max proposes to 99. During a dance scene of Charlie Chaplin look-a-likes, they play a great little arrangement of the Turkish March from Mozart Sonata K.331. It would have sounded great on 'Herb Alpert's Ninth'. And when discussing the case at Control's secret laboratory with the chief Max says he loves the Tijuana Tin and has all their albums. Too bad the computer trumpet he uses to join the band isn't for sale-we could all play like Herb!

I remember that what tipped "Herb[I remember the last name as Talbot...but could be wrong...]" off was that all Max had to do was say the name of the song into the mouthpiece, and it would play:he said to 99..."I"ll be seeing you..." and the horn started playing without him. "Herb" automatically recognized a computer trumpet and knew Max was a CONTROL fake...when asked how he knew about the computer horn, he replied..."Mine's just like it..." :rolleyes:

I always felt that episode was a send-up of the TJB AND the Baja Marimba Band...the TIJUANA TIN had a BMB-like stage presence. I hope Herb Alpert enjoyed the send-up...wonder if he's a secret agent.... :wink: :cool:

Dan NP James Bond Theme JOHN BARRY [has a mean trumpet solo near the end...]

You're right-it was Herb Talbot. Guess my memory wanted to improve the name-Talbert sounds better to me.

I wonder if KAOS is behind the lack of TJB releases on CD?

And speaking of releases on CD, I think the powers that be should take a look at what Sanctuary Records has done for Petula Clark-All the Pye albums released as 2 LPs per CD with bonus tracks (7 on one disc!) of non-album singles and demos, and all new liner notes filled with photos. They could get the entire TJB output on 9 CDs. Yeah, Dream on . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom