• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Herb with Lou Adler at the Lakers games 2/18

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAZZ4JEFF

:shock:
Herb Alpert was at the Lakers vs. Rockets game on Tuesday, Feb. 18th. He was seated with Lou Adler, former Ode records executive. Lou's always sits in the courtside seat next to Jack Nickolson. My reason for mentioning this was Herb's appearance. He looked "Scruffy" and very old. The last time I saw Herb was at the Jules tribute last year, and the difference was shocking.

I hope Herb is just enjoying his semi retirement and not worried about his apperance. However, every time the camera panned the courtside seats, I could not believe the way Herb looked. I guess we all get older....

Hoping for a box set soon....
Jeff

Many guys that age look younger if with shorter hair and a little extra weight. The gray doesn't stand out so much; neither do the wrinkles.
JB -- shocked by the appearance of friends who went on the 'low carb' diet without excercise.

This is interesting....I felt that the last time or so I have seen Herb - either pictures or TV - I can think of one TV interview that may have been on a Burt Bacharach special or something - he did look surprisingly older. Also, I think he definitely looks more his age on the Second Wind cover and on maybe some other pictures somewhere - I don't recall where, though.....maybe an Internet site or something about the Definitive Hits album?

But, Herb will be 68 next month, so I guess he would look noticeably older than the record cover pictures on the Tijuana Brass albums from the sixties that are so familiar to me. Most of my mental images of Herb are from TJB record covers from the sixties when he was in the late 20s - early 30s age range.There haven't been any opportunities to see him grow older gradually. It reminds me of someone you haven't seen for many, many years and then you see them, and all the changes that have occurred.

Back in the TJB heyday, Herb's face was a rather common sight. Then it seems he has disappeared from regular view and I suppose if I were to get a good look at him today, I would be somewhat surprised to observe the changes that 30 - 40 years can bring.....

A flip through some of his solo albums demonstrates some gradual signs. I first noticed deep lines in his face on the BEYOND cover from 1980. Afterwards, he looks youthful and thick-haired from MAGIC MAN ('81) through '89 (back photo of ABSTRACT HEART). None of these are close-ups.
A close look at the N. on S. ST. cover - a full length photo - shows him noticeaably thinner. The hair is longer and thinner as well.
The first 'touch of gray' is present on the 2ND WIND sleeve; and the inside photo of PASSION DANCE (the one that cuts off the top of his head) shows wrinkles and lots of white hair.
The period I've descibed takes him from apx. age 45 thru 60.
JB
NP: Peter Frampton "Lines on My Face" -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom