• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Herb's "1980" - question need help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

stolfstolf

as you might recall, due to jimmy carter's boycott of the 1980 summer olympics in moscow, NBC's coverage was reduced to next to nothing...but i believe they had a little...my question is, was herb's "1980" used with any of that? anybody know? mucho thanx in advance, guys! ---stolf

I don't really recall any coverage by NBC that year. I suppose it's possible that they did something like a nightly wrap-up show, perhaps late night after Johnny Carson or something like that, but I don't know if they would have used "1980" for that kind of coverage.

Checking google, I come up with this article in Time Magazine that indicates that there was essentially no coverage at all, except perhaps within newscasts.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,924130,00.html

Harry

yeah, i heard there was some film but no regular coverage...and many stations wouldn't run even film clips...so i would be justified in saying herb's cut went "unused," right?...

BTW, here's a joke that was told in the CCCP...

At the opening of the 1980 Olympics in Moscow, Brezhnev begins his speech: “O!” Thunderous applause. “O!” More thunderous applause. “O! O!” A standing ovation. An aide leans over and whispers: “You don’t need to read the Olympic Rings…”

NBC did use a lot of the Rise album during their NBA game broadcasts in 1980. Usually it was a segue as they went into commercials during the games.

Capt. Bacardi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom