• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Herb's movie investment

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichardWarner

Contributor
Herb and Jerry have historically supported Democratic causes.

Found onilne yesterday: the latest twist, "bankrolled" by Herb...a movie about a group of pranksters who masquerade as experts at World Trade Organization functions.

'The Yes Men' - Film Review

Directed by: Chris Smith, Dan Ollman & Sarah Price.
Produced by: Chris Smith & Sarah Price.
Director of Photography: Chris Smith & Dan Ollman.
Edited by: Dan Ollman.
Released by: UA.
Country of Origin: USA. 83 min. Rated: R.
With: Andy Bichlbaum & Mike Bonanno.

Satire is the choice of weapon for the Yes Men, a group of sincere pranksters with a conscious. Having launched a Web site lampooning George W. Bush in 1999, they set their sights on the World Trade Organization, "the UN of commerce," attacking its economic policies toward smaller, developing countries. Through this site, which mimics the WTO's, they receive invitations to speak at business conferences and on television as WTO representatives. This amiable documentary follows Andy Bichlbaum and Mike Bonanno (founder of the Barbie Liberation Organization) on three worldwide stunts. The first speaking engagement is in Finland, where Bichlbaum, as Hank Hardy Uhruh, poses the question, "How did workers ever become a problem?" Declaring the American Civil War unnecessary, he asserts that in regards to slavery, the market would have "sorted it out." All this before he reveals the pièce de résistance: the management leisure suit -a gold lamé space suit with a protruding phallus. And in their most outlandish trick (nine months in the planning), the Yes Men propose to a class of indignant college students a method for McDonald's to recycle the world's resources. Aided by a hilarious computer animated demonstration, this parody would make Morgan Spurlock (Super Size Me) proud.

The film is more engaging and less predictable than Spurlock’s corporate broadside as the cameras follow the thirty-something whiz kids through the detailed planning stages, the mishaps, and then the execution. Less agitprop or a call to arms, The Yes Men is more amusing than enlightening. One wonders if the pranks could be too easily laughed off or if the Yes Men's ingenuity could be used to a more legislative or educational purpose. (Bankrolling their elaborate schemes and international travel is recording mogul Herb Alpert.) Even those who get the joke are not challenged. Nothing is asked of them or the viewer, and the apparent acquiescence of the Finnish might be due to polite reserve rather than acceptance. The origins, let alone the practices of the WTO are only skimmed. (The Corporation deals with the dark of side of international trade, but even there, the WTO is only in the background.)

Kent Turner

Okay, I'll bite.

What the movie review above appears to refer to is a grant by the Herb Alpert Foundation in 2002 to a politically oriented "art" group called RTMark, which, in turn, sponsored a performance art group called the Yes Men, who made a movie nobody saw. The Herb Alpert foundation makes "significant annual contributions to a range of programs in the fields of education and the arts." Here's the URL for that quote:

http://alpertawards.org/archive/winner02/alp_state.html

The Yes Men wouldn't appear to be my cup of tea, but I support Herb's sponsorship of arts and education, even if some of the recipients have political agendas contrary to mine. Doesn't affect my fondness for Warm, or Going Places, or Sounds Like, or SRO. Or everything else the TJB did.

Cheers.

Greg Shannon :cool:

Greg Shannon said:
The Yes Men wouldn't appear to be my cup of tea, but I support Herb's sponsorship of arts and education, even if some of the recipients have political agendas contrary to mine. Doesn't affect my fondness for Warm, or Going Places, or Sounds Like, or SRO. Or everything else the TJB did.

Same here! But if Herb were to join the traitors in Move-On's "Rock FOr Change" concert series (Bonnie Raitt, Dave Matthews, Bruse Springsteen, etc), then I'd have issues... :wink:

--Mr Bill

Mr Bill,

The artists of Rock for Change are NOT traitors!!! They are exercising their rights as Americans to voice their opposition to the policies of the Bush adminstration.

I don't have to like President Bush to love my country!

Carol

Several of us Cornerites have been posting at www.americantraitor.us...there are several forums that deal with organizations and musical groups that have made their political views known to the public. Anyone who would like to share their views and vent their spleen is welcome to visit the site and make your statement.

I saw the last couple of minutes of Ebert and Roper Sunday morning, and they were reviewing the film THE YES MEN...Ebert loved it, Roper didn't. I saw a couple of scenes, and the story is DEFINITELY satirical in tone...don't think I'd waste a lot of time, energy or money on it...it seems kinda silly...but, it's Herb's money, and he can spend it any way he likes...

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom