📣 News HERB'S NEW ALBUM, "WISH UPON A STAR," DUE SEPT 15TH

Received my cd today, as did my brother (different address, different state), which is funny given the game Amazon was playing earlier in suggesting it would take up to a month to deliver. Then they changed it to the Monday after release date. Then they changed it tor release day. Ummm, ok…

It didn’t present for autorip on the Amazon site until today, for that matter.

Cardboard case. Artwork is quite nice, better than some past releases in my opinion.

Looks like six tracks have some level of programming on them, as that is specifically noted. Given that I detest a sound that comes from that from time to time, I really hope it doesn’t color my view of the album.

Typically, there is a Beatles cover. Not a fan generally but apparently he is. The Elvis cover and the Yusuf/Cat Stevens cover are thrills for my brother, who is a fan of the Elvis tune and of Yusuf/Cat generally. Glad to see there are sone original tunes, from Eduardo Del Barrio and from Jeff Lorber and Mr Alpert.

Arriving tomorrow from Amazon.

I remember when pre-orders would get you delivery ON release day.
I canceled and reordered three times to make sure my order of two cds we’re received in each location on release day.

I have been listening on Spotify, while I await the physical CD. To me it is a very good album, ranging from TJB sounding tunes to more jazzy stuff.

- greetings from the north -
Martin

The tunes are popping up on You Tube.
The entire album is posted one above yours here. 😉 All streaming services have it on release day. 👍 I'll just listen on Qobuz in high-res when I'm in the mood.

Have listened multiple times. Sounds good in hi res, btw.

It’s a very good release. Better than Sunny Side of the Street. It’s on par with Catch The Wind and Steppin Out, IMHO his two best over the last decade or so.The Jerry Reed cover is cute, but how I’d love to hear him cover The Claw. Father and Son is a lovely cover. The Elvis cover is cute. The new tunes by Cantos and with Lorber I like, but I prefer him doing new stuff so I will admit a bias. Only tunes I do not care for are We’ve Only Just Begun (don’t care for the pacing), the Beatles cover (I’m not a fan except for them individually) and Wish Upon A Star, but they may grow on me in future plays.

Would prefer less programming but it’s not overbearing here, in my opinion (thankfully).

As he has a redo of a tune, something he frequently does, tunes I’d love to see him revisit: Save The Sunlight, Come What May (a Hall track I know but I’d like him to be prominent with a vocal less so), Noche de Amor. Would love to hear more covers of Sting, Frampton, Rita Coolidge (perhaps the Peter Allen song), and a Masekela or Gwangwa tune.

I finally got my CD just now and I'm listening to it now this one has a lot of energy and plenty to enjoy Another Winner from Herb and this ( like everything else before) is going into my computer

There was a redo of Save the sunlight,” on Lani’s 2nd solo album. Pretty impossible to top the original though.

Lani’s version could nearly be considered a TJB version because the band played on it, and Herb did production and arrangement.

There was a redo of Save the sunlight,” on Lani’s 2nd solo album. Pretty impossible to top the original though.

Lani’s version could nearly be considered a TJB version because the band played on it, and Herb did production and arrangement.
He did Besame Mucho several times!

Only tunes I do not care for are We’ve Only Just Begun (don’t care for the pacing), the Beatles cover (I’m not a fan except for them individually) and Wish Upon A Star, but they may grow on me in future plays.

I was a little thrown off by the pace at first listen as well, but now the jazz take on WOJB has me loving this track.

I bought my copy at Herb and Lanis Chicago show at the Vic. Forth row center is nice for visuals but you sacrifice sound quality. To my delight Herb played the entire show without a mute! Straight - no mixer thats the way I like it.

I can't stand cardboard cds. Does anyone know if this one is being released as a jewel case in any market?

You can probably buy jewel cases in a 3-pack at any dollar store. (Or on Amazon.) Then, all you need is a pair of scissors. Use a printer to create a backing tray card.

Did not care for the 1st track when initially available.

Spun the CD for the first time yesterday and while I am still not a fan of "EBAD", the remainder of the album is quite good.
One of Herb's better recent offerings, IMHO.

Did not care for the 1st track when initially available.

Spun the CD for the first time yesterday and while I am still not a fan of "EBAD", the remainder of the album is quite good.
One of Herb's better recent offerings, IMHO.
To my ears, the remix version is a lot better...there's a lot more "punch" for lack of a better word. I was surprised that it wasn't included on the album.

Back
Top Bottom