HORIZON question for you folks

Status
Not open for further replies.

fraykis

Hey folks,

I've been slowly collecting the REMASTERED CLASSICS series of CDs. Before this, the only Carpenters CD I owned was HORIZON. The sound quality had always seemed really good to me, but I wanted to know if you all think there's a significant difference in the sound quality between a regular HORIZON disc and a R.C. one, enough to warrant a purchase of the newer CD. Any opinions?

Thanks!

I personally found very little difference in the later CDs between the original 80s-issued ones and the Remasters from 1998. HORIZON is one I don't hear all that much difference on, but felt compelled to complete the collection. I found most of the discs on sale at places like Circuit City for under $10 so it was worth it to me to just complete the set.

I find most of the differences in the earlier recordings, where Richard had done the most and drastic remixing. Apparently he wasn't happy with the more primitive nature of those earlier recordings. Once A&M upgraded their studios, the more modern sound was seemingly more to his liking as those recordings don't differ all that much.

One nice change in the Remasters was the reinstating of the piano intro to "I Need To Be In Love" on the ...HUSH album, as it appeared on vinyl.

Harry
...happier with the early remasters, online...

I didn't notice a profound difference between 80's HORIZON and remastered classics either. I had high hopes for this particular album as it ranks #1 in my CarpenterS appreciation library. I was expecting the over-dubs to be clearer, more pronounced, detailed if you will. Particulary looking to ONLY YESTERDAY and MR. POSTMAN for even subtle enhancements. I've now shifted my hopes and expectations to the release of the entire catalog on SACD. Funny, I was speaking to my brother-in-law about the imminent release of THE SINGLES on the new format. He said SAC what??? I provided the necessary info AND snuck in the release date of same.

Thrying to educate a Portland Fireman,

Jeff

Harry said:
I personally found very little difference in the later CDs between the original 80s-issued ones and the Remasters from 1998.

If anything, the 1998 remasters would benefit from better quality (more modern) analog to digital converters used in the studio. I still need a few pieces to complete the collection--should probably get those before they evaporate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom