• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Interesting Doors Reunion Gig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rudy

¡Que siga la fiesta!
Staff member
Site Admin
Just heard on the radio about a recent Doors reunion concert. Apparently drummer John Densmore is not in good health, and there's an A&M connection to the sit-in for Densmore...

Entertainment Weekly said:
Jim Morrison, alas, couldn't make it. Neither could Doors drummer John Densmore, who has the hearing disorder tinnitus and can't play live anymore. But a Doors reunion is under way, featuring half the original 1960s lineup (keyboardist Ray Manzarek and guitarist Robby Krieger), along with ex-Police drummer Stewart Copeland, bassist Angelo Barbera, and -- in place of Morrison, who broke on through to the other side in 1971 -- singer Ian Astbury, formerly of the Cult.

According to Launch.com, the re-opened Doors played their first date last Tuesday at Hollywood's House of Blues and played the first of a handful of Harley Davidson-sponsored shows on the motorcycle maker's Open Road Tour, including one on Friday at the California Motor Speedway in Fontana, Calif. After that, there's a date Sept. 29 at Molson Park in Barrie, Ontario. And then? They'll do a full-fledged tour of the U.S. and Europe and record a new album in 2003. Though he's sitting this one out, Densmore has reportedly given the reunion his blessing. No word on how Morrison feels about it.

-= N =-

That's a reunion I'd love to catch. Maybe it will come around early next year.
Manzarek's version of German composer Carl Orff's CARMINA BURANA was released in 1983 (A&M SP 4945). The CD Audio Master Plus version was made in Germany (394 945-2). Finally won a copy on Ebay recently.
JB
NP: Ray Manzarek CARMINA BURANA "The Wheel of Fortune"

In other Doors-related news, George Winston (piano player on Windham Hill, formerly distributed by A&M) will release his new album on 10/8, called NIGHT DIVIDES THE DAY: THE MUSIC OF THE DOORS. This is bound to be one of the strangest albums of all time.

Winston has said the Doors were one of his major influences, so this will be interesting to say the least!

Yes, it would be interesting! If I recall, didn't Winston also release an album of Vince Guaraldi "Peanuts" songs? David Benoit has been down that road--I like his Guaraldi tributes. At the last concert, Benoit said his biggest influence was Guaraldi, and the audience lit up when he broke into a couple of familiar "Peanuts" tunes. (Benoit also took over Peanuts soundtracks after Guaraldi passed away.)

I'm a very limited Doors fan. Normally I can't stand their druggy lyrics and comatose playing style. The album I find most appealing is L.A. Woman when they get into some blues, like "The Changeling", "Love Her Madly", "Down So Long" and "Texas Radio and The Big Beat". "Roadhouse Blues," too, ranks up there. The rest just makes me feel like I'm listening to a cheap Holiday Inn lounge rock band. :confused: Your mileage may vary. :wink: The only Doors albums I don't own are The Soft Parade and Morrison Hotel. Probably because Waiting For The Sun was so weird. Really too bad Morrison disappeared (died?) like he did...had they continued in that blues/rock direction and hired a real bass player, they could have made some great albums.

-= N =-
...drifting into inconsciousness...

I'm also a limited Doors fan. I like the song "The End" at the beginning, but it just drags on too long. My favorite cuts of theirs are probably "LA Woman" and "Riders on the Storm." Piano solos, you know.

It will be interesting to see what Winston does with their stuff. If they were a big influence of his, he's probably been tinkering with arrangements and ideas for years.

This is not a good idea-obviously Money talks .....however I cannot see
two Doors members bringing in the audiences in USA , UK or Europe , the Promoters will be hit unless there are other Groups on the bill ?

Clearly the surviving members have forgotten the 1972-1973 debacle when two successive Albums flopped Worldwide and the tours were unsuccessful ..... :confused:

The Doors should have left their career with the excellent Box Set in 1997 with some interesting rarities..... :)

Understand there are some Morrison vocal outtakes that could be released ....some are quite blusey / R&B supposedly, these would bring
interest and more success.

Peter...another dire reunion takes place......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom