It Was Three Years Ago Today...

Status
Not open for further replies.

alpertfan

Tonni Kalash passed away in Sin City-May 15, 2001. He was probably the most elusive of the TJB members, his whereabouts unknown since the original group disbanded. He (like most of his bandmates) had roots in New Orleans-style jazz and was also part of Phil Spector's "Wrecking Crew" with Bob Edmondson, Julius Wechter, Hal Blaine, and Carpenters bassist Joe Osborn. He was one of the "two Bagels" in the TJB (a joke Herb Alpert used when asked to describe the group. He said, as many know that the group consisted of "four Salamis, two Bagels, and an American cheese sandwich"). Kalash was the third member of the group to pass on.

Tonni was a lot of fun onstage. Quiet and understated, he could pull off a zinger every now and then. Of course, it was Edmondson who was really the 'clown' of the group...you never knew just what he was going to do next. That's why I get a chuckle out of the 'smug' expression he wears in so many of the TJB cover photos. You just know there's mischief to be had behind that 'dour' expression.

Jon

what did tonni kalash die from becasue as I told all of you in a story with my meeting him and herb alpert back in 1969 here in Ohio at the blossom
music center that is near akron,ohio, so I just wondered what he died from as I got his autograph and herb's as well.
thanks
bob papp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom