• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Jazz DJ Mort Fega Dies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

This may be of interest to those who listened to jazz radio in New York City during the 50's and 60's. From the L.A. Times:

Mort Fega, 83; Jazz DJ Hosted Shows at Legendary Venues

Mort Fega, 83, the hip, mellow-voiced New York radio personality who brought the music of jazz greats such as Miles Davis, Dizzy Gillespie and John Coltrane to the masses, died Jan. 21 of complications from back surgery. He had been living in Delray Beach, Fla.

After beginning his radio career in 1955 in New Rochelle, N.Y., he went to New York City, where he started his Saturday show "Jazz Unlimited." He hosted jazz shows at Carnegie Hall, Birdland and the Apollo Theater in New York and at the Newport Jazz Festival in Rhode Island.

He can be heard introducing Davis and the trumpeter's rhythm section — pianist Herbie Hancock, drummer Tony Williams and bassist Ron Carter — in Davis' The Complete Concert 1964: My Funny Valentine + Four & More, recorded at Carnegie Hall.

"I was friendly with most of the giants in jazz," Fega said in 1994.

Fega worked as a jazz disc jockey in Phoenix from 1969 to 1975. He moved to Florida in 1986, where he hosted a radio show, wrote and taught. He served in World War II, piloting a B-17 on raids over Germany and France.

Capt. Bacardi

I'd wondered where he had gone. I was in college between 1971 to 1975 and Mort was quite a personallity around here. (Phoenix) A couple of times a month the Double Tree Inn would bring in Jazz greats to the lounge and that's where we music majors got to know him. Mr. Fega was always very kind to us. Thanks for the info. Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom