🎵 AotW Joe Jackson - JUMPIN' JIVE (SP-4871)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
Joe Jackson
JOE JACKSON'S JUMPIN' JIVE
A&M SP-4871
sp4871.jpg

Joe Jackson - voice & vibes, producer
Pete Thomas - alto sax
Raul Oliviera - trumpet
Nick Weldon - piano

Dave Bitelli - tenor sax & clarinet
Graham Maby - bass
Larry Tolfree - drums

SIDE ONE

Jumpin' With Symphony Sid - C. Beeks/L. Young - United Artists Music LTD/Criterion Lorna Music LTD - 2:42

Jack, You're Dead - D. Miles/W. Bishop - Angio-Pic Music Co. LTD - 2:45

Is You Is or Is You Ain't My Baby - B. Austin/L. Jordan - Leeds Music LTD - 5:02

We the Cats Shall Hep Ya - Copyright Control - 3:18

San Francisco Fan - M. More - Fresh Air Music LTD - 4:28

Five Guys Named Moe - J. Bresler/L. Wynn - Leeds Music LTD - 2:14

SIDE TWO

Jumpin' Jive - Calloway/Froeba/Palmer - Lawrence Wright Music Co. LTD - 2:42

You Run Your Mouth and I'll Run My Business - Armstrong - Copyright Control - 2:32

What's the Use in Getting Sober When You're Gonna Get Drunk Again - Meyers - Leeds Music LTD - 3:48

You're My Meat - Skeets/Tolbert - Leeds Music LTD - 2:55

Tuxedo Junction - F. Feyne/ E. Hawkins/W. Johnson/ J. Dash/ J.R. LaSleur - EMI - 5:19

How Long Must I Wait for You - Copyright Control - 4:06

Norman Mighell - associate producer & engineer
Matt the Goose - assistant engineer
Recorded May 1981, Basing Street Studios, London
Horn Arrangements by Joe, Pete, Dave & Raul

Anton Corbijn - photography and design (with Joe Jackson)
Pete Covington - logo
Thanks to Drew for the bass & Bruce for the beer
Thanks to Basement Music for sharing the losses

Reissued as SP/CD 3271
Entered the Billboard Top 200 on August 1, 1981, reached # 42 & charted for 13 weeks

JB

Long been a favourite! Saw him play live twice during the tour supporting this album, excellent stuff! The was also a single release of the title track, I assume on A&M, with a non-album track, "Knock Me A Kiss", on the b-side.

I've never had a chance to collect Jackson's B-sides. I think I have one or two in various forms.

I was surprised that track wasn't included in the CD reissue a few years back. I've searched from time to time for an mp3 of it on the interweb but have never seen it anywhere. Anyone ever come across it?

I'm going to see about ordering one in.

R-824310-1162744018.jpeg

Interesting that the sleeve is marked, "From the forthcoming album....", as the B-side would not appear on the album.

R-824310-1296960364.jpeg

R-824310-1296960379.jpeg

R-824310-1296960389.jpeg

(Images courtesy discogs.com .)

Correction: I found a M- copy rather inexpensive, and ordered it. :D

I've never had a chance to collect Jackson's B-sides. I think I have one or two in various forms.

His 45s are supposedly not all that uncommon (or at least they're not valued much differently than most other 45s from the '80s), but from my own experience, collecting all his B-sides does not seem to be a terribly easy task. His albums are simple enough to find (especially anything from Look Sharp through Big World, although Mike's Murder is a tad more difficult than the others and has been out-of-print for decades), but for all the countless hundreds of boxes of 45s I've sifted through in record shops and flea markets in the years I've been collecting records (and primarily 45s, at that), I've surprisingly very rarely ever stumbled upon any Joe Jackson 45s. I think I only have three or four of them myself! (The most unusual being "I'm the Man," which has got a non-LP cover of Chuck Berry's "Come On" on the flip side.)

"Come On" was a bonus on the I'm The Man CD reissue, and a live version appeared on the Propaganda compilation, along with a previously unreleased JJ track "Don't Ask Me" on the B-side of the album (which is all studio cuts):

4100969.jpg

I know that Mike's Murder made a brief CD appearance, but now it goes for crazy money. I haven't really paid much attention to his B-sides though. I would have thought one of his CD anthologies would have gathered them up by now, but apparently not.

Wow! I didn't know that about Propaganda! I've got to track that one down.
It is really surprising, I'd agree, that A&M or Universal has never bothered to bring more of the oddities in his discography, i.e. the B-sides, to CD, whether via a boxed set (like the one A&M did for the Police, which did an absolutely marvelous job of collecting all their oddball cuts in one place) or anthology or as bonus cuts on reissues, etc., but then again, it never ceases to amaze me sometimes the stuff that artists or labels will sit on. (Case in point: a lot of the best post-Beatles Paul McCartney recordings I've ever heard are outtakes from the '70s or early '80s that he's somehow still never got around to releasing officially, in any format. Go figure.)
Universal did put out a double-disc deluxe version of Night and Day back in '03, which you would think might have been a great opportunity for them to collect a lot of that material, but it shockingly somehow managed to avoid including any of the B-sides from the singles from that album, i.e. "El Blanco," "Otra Mundo," etc., yet it inexplicably includes five live cuts (none of them of songs that actually appear on Night and Day) from his Live 1980/1986 album. It does include a half-dozen or so demos of Night and Day tracks, but they're repeatedly listed in the wrong order in the packaging. It's also got the entire first side of Mike's Murder on it, but stops shy of including anything from the second side (which isn't a huge loss, since the second side is all-instrumental, but still, for completists, it's a bit maddening to get just half of it when they could've dispensed with some of the other less relevant bonus material. Still nice to have "Cosmopolitan" on CD, though. One of his most underrated songs.)

Well, I'd ordered the "Jumpin' Jive" single but what showed up was the LP. :sigh: Got a note out to the seller. If he doesn't have it (or had it listed wrong), I'll find another.

Propaganda is readily available on discogs.com . It's no great album, but it does have those unreleased tracks. There are two live Police tracks, "Landlord" and "Next To You", recorded at the Bottom Line and ended up on the Message In The Box set.

The single is on the way! The seller made a mistake and sent the LP instead, so everything is all set there! I'm anxious to hear this B-side...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom