• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

🎵 AotW John Cale - HONI SOIT (SP - 4849)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
John Cale
HONI SOIT

A&M SP-4849

sp4849.jpg

John Cale - guitar, keyboards, viola, lead vocals
Sturgis Nikides - guitar, background vocals
Jim Goodwin - keyboards, synthesizers, background vocals
Peter Muny - bass, background vocals
Robert Medici - drums, background vocals

SIDE ONE

Dead or Alive 3:51
Strange Times in Casablanca 4:13
Fighter Pilot 3:10
Wilson Joliet 4:23
Streets of Laredo 3:34

SIDE TWO

Honi Soit (La Premiere Lecon de Francais) 3:20
Riverbank 6:26
Russian Roulette 5:15
Magic & Lies 3:26

All selections written by John Cale and published by UnderCover Music BMI except "Streets of Laredo" (arr. by John Cale)

Produced by Mike Thorne (also computer processing)
Executive Producer - John Cale
Flight engineer: Warren Frank
Logistics: Louis Tropia

Trumpet: John Gatchell
Background vocals on "Fighter Pilot" - Bomberettes

HONI SOIT (pronounced 'o nee swa') entered the Billboard Top 200 on April 11, 1981, reached # 154 and charted for 5 weeks.

For more information, including biography, discography and current activities, please visit the following site:

http://werksman.home.xs4all.nl/cale/index.html

JB

This was Cale's follow up to 1979's Sabotage/Live on I.R.S. Records... (http://www.amcorner.com/irscorner/c/cale.html). While Oingo Boingo is considered the first I.R.S. act to be picked up by A&M as part of I.R.S.'s distro deal with A&M, many argue Cale was. Not likely since I.R.S. was not a true label in the strictest sense of the word during it's first year, but merely a "clearing house" for promising indy artists and labels. Sabotage/Live may be listed as I.R.S SP 004, but it is also SPY Records LP7... Besides, Cale as a cult music figure and independent artist in the truest sense fo the word could go from label to label album to album (and did).

Musically I find Cale to be an "acquired taste" and the stylings of S/L are nothing like what you get on Honi Soit or almost anywhere else in his catalog. Eclectic at best -- but would you expect anything else from a former Velvet Underground member who hung out with Andy Warhol???

No, it's not accessible in the way that VINTAGE VIOLENCE (1970, Columbia) or PARIS 1919 (1973, Reprise) are; on the other hand, it's not wildly eclectic like some of his other work, more of a wilder side to his mid'70s Island work. Good, but yes, acquired taste, definitely.

As for Andy, not sure he was much of an influence on Cale; better to blame La Monte Young, John Cage, Steve Reich, others of that sort, for Cale's precocious nature, heh.

:ed:

Just read in Wikipedia (so it MUST be true!) that "Honi soit qui mal y pense" is associated with the British Army.....so I wanted to ask our British friends if 'honi soit' by itself is a sort of shorthand reference to the military, kind of the way we use 'semper fi'....

The full phrase is French for "Shame upon him who thinks evil of it." It is the slogan of the English Order of the Garter. htere are a number of student newspapers entitled "Honi Soit" around the world, some often countercultural and a few bordeirng on underground, but just as many official and above board...

--Mr Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom