• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

John Pisano and Paulinho De Costa on Diana Krall DVD...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAN BOLTON

Not really sure which forum this should be posted under, but I just picked up Diana Krall's DVD, LIVE IN PARIS...giving it a first play, I'm noticing that John Pisano is featured prominently, as is Paulinho DeCosta. Klaus Ogerman and Alan Broadbent[who I met while he was touring with Woody Herman in the '70's] are also prominently featured.

The album is good, even though there seems to be a distortion of the image when Diana is shown close-up...like her head is tall and narrow...but I have a couple of questions. Diana intreoduces Paulinho as "Paulinnyo", and there's no extra "I" in his name in the credits, and it's listed twice...and she introduces John as "Pisano", like in a certain bathroom function[for lack of a better way to describe it...], and I always thought the correct pronunciation of his name was PIE-SANO. Maybe she was just a little nervous; she spoke a little too softly a couple of times...or maybe I don't know how to pronounce Mr. De Costa's and Mr. Pisano's names...

I'm sure I've always seen Paulinho's name spelled like I spelled it...is it correct?

These minor clams aside, the DVD is great, and if you like her music, you'll dig it...and it's good to see John Pisano onstage.

Elvis Costello is nowhere to be found...but I hear that their artistic collaboration is better than a lot of us thought it would be. I STILL can't see Elvis and Diana together, though...

Dan

In the Portuguese language, an "h" following an "n" acts like a "i" in English would. Thus, the pronunciation "Pow - lean - yo" would be correct. It's similar to the n-with-the-squiggle on it in Spanish.

I went to school with someone named Pisano, and it was pronounced with the short "i" sound.

Harry
...from the A&M Corner Southern Command, online...

Thanks for the info...the pronunciations seemed a little odd, but I didn't think that there would be a mistake on a project like this.

The Spanish term for the "squiggle" is a TILDE [TILL-dy]...

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom