• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Johnny Cash

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
The passing of The Man in Black is sad news if not unexpected. Johnny Cash's innumerable credits include THE LEGEND OF JESSE JAMES (A&M SP 3718), a collaboration with Emmylou Harris, Charlie Daniels and Levon Helm.
He was musically active to the end, despite bouts of ill health, and will be greatly missed.
JB

Sad to hear this news this morning, but not really surprised. His health had been up and down for a long while and it seems almost a comfort that he has followed his wife June and doesn't have to be alone. I was shocked to hear of John Ritters passing so suddenly, I had really enjoyed his new sitcom. I seem to think that his father Tex Ritter died quite young and wonder if there was a heridity factor with this heart problem.

Sad to see the passing of Johnny Cash, although, as Shirley said, his health was poor. He can now be with June.

I remember listening to Johnny Cash 8-tracks on Summer vacations. Dad loved him -- we all did. As with John Ritter, my prayers and good thoughts go out to Johnny's family at this time of loss. Rest in Peace, Johnny. You were one in a million!

Jon

I don't like country music at all, but I've always had a lot of respect for Johnny Cash. I remember my parents playing his records when I was a kid, and kept thinking it was Herb Alpert playing on Johnny's "Ring Of Fire" - a rather naive thought at the time. :oops: I've seen a couple of interviews of his, and he was actually a pretty funny guy. Larry King once asked him if he always wore black, and Cash just chuckled and said that if you'd ever look inside his closet that it would be rather dark in there. :wink:

Capt. Bacardi

If anybody would like a good example of Cash's work, try THE MAN COMES AROUND, his latest..and now, sadly, last...album. He sings some of his old standards, and some things you wouldn't expect an artist like him to try...BRIDGE OVER TROUBLED WATER, IN MY LIFE, WE'LL MEET AGAIN...and he makes each his own...HURT was originally a Nine Inch Nails song, but nobody did it like Johnny Cash...

It's gonna be hard to think of him in the past tense...he was a great artist and a great person, as well...

Dan

I've always said I'd like to see a music critic release something musical, only to have their work ripped to shreds by a contemporary.

As such, it occurs to me that Johnny's last CD, The Man Comes Around, was panned by the critics. They said he sounded "old" and "worn out". Gee, he sounded good to me. Mom bought the CD. We listened with admiration. "He still has it," noted Mother. How right she was.

Now, these same critics are hailing Johnny as one of the greats of his time. To me, this is about the only thing they've said that makes sense. And now, we'll never hear from Johnny again. Damn fools.

Jon

We might be in luck this time....Johnny was recording at the time of his passing, or just before he had to go back into the hospital...so, maybe there could be another album. I certainly hope so...

Dan

Really? He was recording? Now that's happiness!! :wink:

Maybe we'll hear from Johnny Cash after all. However, I still don't like those critics! :mad:

Jon

...tongue in cheek (maybe), online...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom