• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Jon who?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
Harry said:
Many of us remember "Jon" who allegedly talked all the time to "Herb Alpert's secretary" to let us all know what wonders were planned. It was all bogus of course, and we knew it.

I'm quoting myself here in an effort to clarify something I posted in the "Official Carpenters Site" thread.

Once upon a time, many moons ago, and before this Forum went to the phpBB style that we have here now, we had a poster come by and give us "inside" information about Herb Alpert and what he was allegedly up to. Supposedly, he was friends with Cheryl, Herb's secretary and had gotten all of this info from her.

For a short time, we bought into some of it, but soon learned that it was all bogus, made-up nonsense. Further confusing the issue was this poster's name - Jon. We'd gotten to know a different Jon, who's with us today as one of our moderator staff, and some had assumed that it was one and the same. "Jon" is, after all, a less common spelling of the name, so many thought that the bogus Jon was "our" Jon and began emailing "our" Jon with all kinds of requests and nonsense.

We just wanted to set the record straight. The Jon that posts here now is Jon - the Brasil Nut. That's what he calls himself, as he's extremely fond of Sergio Mendes and his various Brasil incarnations, as well as other Brasilian artists. But Jon is not just a one-note kind of guy - he's also into many of the other artists we discuss here, including Carpenters, Burt Bacharach, etc.

Jon is, by trade, these days a flight attendant, which gives him a rather erratic schedule. Still, we value his input and insight on matters A&M, and value him as a moderator when his schedule permits.

So you may be seeing more of "our" Jon around these parts from time to time.

Harry
...setting the record straight, online...

I would like to thank Harry for posting the above statement...thanks, Harry!!

Back around the time this other 'Jon' began posting at our Corner with bogus information, I was innundated with "shame on you" and "what are you trying to pull?" type e-mails. Someone even had the nerve to ask in the public forum if 'Jon' the fake and 'Jon' the Brasil Nut could possibly be the same person!!

I came to A&M Corner sometime in the mid '90s, when I worked at Walt Disney World. Sitting in my office, surfing the Web, I encountered "Rudy's Corner" (as the site was originally called) and became hooked. I've made some amazing friends and acquaintances in the seven or so years I've been around here -- something for which I'm grateful.

Again, Harry...thanks for setting the record straight. I do have a permanent signature on my postings: "The Brasil Nut". My family christened me with this name many years ago. As Harry pointed out, it's due to my fascination with the music of Sergio Mendes and A&M in general...one of the most influential and interesting labels to come out of Hollywood. I feel priviledged to be a part of the A&M Corner Family.

Jon

To clarify: this bogus Jon was using an e-mail of "[email protected]". I went so far as to contact a tech person at ASCAP, and they confirmed what I thought: ASCAP does not use first names in e-mail addresses, but often use a more common first initial, last name e-mail address.

And I'll bet any money Herb Alpert never had a secretary named Cheryl!

This new forum prevents bogus registrations. (Or at any rate, enables us to detect other similar problems.) So we've blown this fraud clear out of here. :D

Steve Sidoruk said:
Herb's secretary/assistant is/was Sheryl Lorence.

Great :confused: Next you'll be telling us that "Jon" really did work at ASCAP!

Harry
NP: DEE JAY SAMPLER

See...it's Sheryl, not Cheryl (like the phony "Jon" kept telling us)! :D

Indeed, Sheryl was Herb's personal assistant back in the '80s. I don't know if she is still involved with him or not. I know this because, back in the early '80s, I got to know Diana Baron of Artist Relations quite well. It was Diana who arranged a tour of the Lot for me back around '83 -- all because of a chance encounter with Lani Hall -- a long story.

Long story short... "Miss Sheryl" (as Diana called her) was a sensational gal in every way.

Jon

Hi Jon, I admit that I am not a visiter of the Sergio Mendes forums here so I really didn't know anything about Harry's first post. But I wanted to say that Jon has been very nice to me & took the time out of his busy schedule to write me a few times about his experiences he had working at Disney. It's nice to see you around the Carpenters camp & look forward to reading your posts here. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom