"Keep Your Eye on Me" singles

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfiedler17

Question regarding "Making Love in the Rain" (Herb's last Top 40 hit, if I remember right): has anyone else besides me had trouble tracking down a 45 copy? Got the "Diamonds" 45 when it first came out (still one of my favorite '80s singles!), and have been wanting to get the "MLITR" 45 to go with it for some time now, but I've never once run into a copy. (And, incidentally, is the "MLITR" 7" version edited down at all or remixed from the LP version?). Just curious to know if anyone else has had the same difficulty.

Likewise, is the picture sleeve for "Diamonds" all that hard to come by? The copy I got when it first came out - and every copy I've seen ever since (and I run into the 45 a lot!) - comes in an A&M stock sleeve, and I've yet to see the picture sleeve.

jfiedler17 said:
Question regarding "Making Love in the Rain" (Herb's last Top 40 hit, if I remember right): has anyone else besides me had trouble tracking down a 45 copy?(And, incidentally, is the "MLITR" 7" version edited down at all or remixed from the LP version?). Just curious to know if anyone else has had the same difficulty.

I got the 45 when it first came out, and yes, it had a picture sleeve with it. It was all over the place when it came out, but I haven't looked for it recently.

Likewise, is the picture sleeve for "Diamonds" all that hard to come by? The copy I got when it first came out - and every copy I've seen ever since (and I run into the 45 a lot!) - comes in an A&M stock sleeve, and I've yet to see the picture sleeve.

Again, no problem on the picture sleeve, which is similar to the 12" version of the song.

Capt. Bacardi

I also have both, in picture sleeves. They seemed plentiful at the time.

Speaking of "Diamonds", I actually heard it out in public this evening. We went over to the local Outback Steakhouse for dinner, and following another semi-rare A&M'er, Billy Preston's "Nothin' From Nothin'", Herb's "Diamonds" came on. I think it was one of the longer 12" mixes, too. I can't recall the last time I heard it away from home.

Harry
...heading for the boob-tube, online...

They were seriously playing "Diamonds"? That's awesome! I haven't heard "Diamonds" in public or on the radio in a good five years, at least. Surprised it gets so little exposure these days, 'specially since Janet Jackson's on it, too. (Wondering if her upcoming album will be any decent ...)
Have never heard any of the 12" mixes of "Diamonds", though I do have the 12" of "Keep Your Eye on Me." (Miss the video to that one!)

I have all of the 12" singles from this one, including a "Cool Summer Mix" of "Diamonds".

jfiedler17 said:

This I can answer, as I bought the 45 of "Diamonds" when it was first popular. The picture sleeve is QUITE difficult to find, as it was already gone from most copies of the 45 when the song was still on its way up the charts, but not yet as its peak. I had a habit of waiting until a 45 was just entering the top 20 to buy it; I did the same with "Diamonds," and roughly 9 out of 10 places had it with no picture sleeve. It was tough to find.

There are several other A&M picture sleeves from the 1980s that are even more rare, such as "Pretty in Pink" by the Psychedelic Furs and "Gypsy" by Suzanne Vega, but "Diamonds" is not easy to find.

Tim Neely said:
I bought the 45 of "Diamonds" when it was first popular. The picture sleeve is QUITE difficult to find, as it was already gone from most copies of the 45 when the song was still on its way up the charts, but not yet as its peak. I had a habit of waiting until a 45 was just entering the top 20 to buy it; I did the same with "Diamonds", and roughly 9 out of 10 places had it with no picture sleeve. It was tough to find.

In that case, there is a copy of DIAMONDS in the standard Pink sleeve, backed with MAKING LOVE IN THE RAIN on Side 2 and DIAMONDS in the PICTURE SLEEVE backed with AFRICAN FLAME on Side 2, near me.

They are $1 a piece!! Should I go out and get 'em? :nut:

Dave :D

Dave said:
...In that case, there is a copy of DIAMONDS in the Standard Pink Sleeve, backed with MAKING LOVE IN THE RAIN on Side 2 and...

Dave :D

By "standard pink" I assume you mean "Memories" series of hit single reissues (formerly known as "Forget Me Knots" and other names, reissued in the 8500 series?) If so, then that's not what he's looking for. The "Memories" series is by and large still available (though many have been discontinued)...

--Mr Bill

Yeah, the "Diamonds" copy I have is the first-run, black-label pressing with "African Flame" on the flip, except mine came in a red/black A&M stock sleeve instead of the pic sleeve.
(By the way, thanks for the help, Tim! It's nice to know that the sleeve is tough to come by and that I wasn't just having bad luck!)

I think I HAVE seen the "Memories" re-issue with "Making Love in the Rain" on it. I've just never run across a copy of the ORIGINAL issue of "MLITR", strangely enough!

Jeff
Presently enjoying the single version of "Red Hot" as I type ...

Mr Bill said:
By "standard pink" I assume you mean "Memories" series of hit single reissues (formerly known as "Forget Me Knots" and other names, reissued in the 8500 series?) If so, then that's not what he's looking for. The "Memories" series is by and large still available (though many have been discontinued)...

--Mr Bill

Yes, that's what I meant. I thought the "Memories" series replaced the "Forget Me KNOTS (Nots)" ( green and yellow striped label showing a finger with string around it ) which replaced the "Forget Me NOTS" (Ocre label with the flowers on it).

Dave

Not so much a replacement as a name change as the #s remained the same. It would be interesting to make an eXcel list of which singles came in which form(s). Some existed all three ways while other only in one or two of the incarnations...

--Mr Bill

Actually, it could be an addition to Steve S.'s 45RPM discography on the TJB page. I am thinking of doing something similar to what I did with Stolf's TJB Clone list and put it into a database...which would then be a browseable list or something you could search.

Heads up: locally I found two copies of "Diamonds" with the picture sleeves. Didn't bother to buy them though...I may go back and get one of them when I get the chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom