• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Larry Henley R.I.P.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AM Matt

Forum Undertaker
Singer songwriter Larry Henley of The Newbeats ("Bread And Butter", "Everything's Alright" & "Run Baby Run" all on the Hickory label) & "Wind Beneath My Wings", a # 1 song for Bette Midler in late 1989, has died Thursday of Parkinson's disease at 77 years old. Roger Whittaker, the late Lou Rawls, the late Perry Como & country singer Gary Morris also covered "Wind Beneath My Wings". Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Actually, it might be more accurate to say Bette Midler "covered" the song, though she deserves credit for the most successful record. Roger Whittaker was apparently the first to record it; then Sheena Easton, who recorded it in both English and Spanish, though her label wouldn't release it as a "single." The first version I remember hearing was Lou Rawls'; I wondered then why it wasn't a much bigger hit. Guess it was just a matter of time...

It'd really be more fair to say that Bobby Goldsboro was the "first" to record it, him being a fellow-Nashville-ian... And having been to at least a couple of Bobby's concerts where he'd actually sung it, and said so, himself, then that fact holds most-true...

Henley was a champion song-writer who'd penned a few other hits for Goldsboro, as well as Johnny Tillotson and Bobby Vee... "Beautiful People" is one example...

-- Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom