Side Two:
1. Married* (Ebb-Kander) 1:30
2. You'd Better Sit Down, Kids* (Sonny Bono) 3:27
3. So Long Dad* (Randy Newman) 2:09
4. For No One*** (Lennon-McCartney) 2:28
5. My Mammy* (Lewis-Young-Donaldson) 3:01
6. The Happy Time** (Ebb-Kander) 2:39

Liner Notes:
Asking me about Liza Minnelli is like asking a child his opinion of Christmas. I can think only of joy -- how she sparkles, how she glows, and how she makes me happy. How she is always something to look forward to -- an occasion -- a blessing. But for those of you who dislike rhapsodic bleating and would like it simply said -- I thing she's the lovin' end.
--Fred Ebb

Produced by Larry Marks
Arrangers:
*:tongue:eter Matz
**: Nick DeCaro
***: Bob Thompson
****: J. Hill
Engineers: Ray Gerhardt, Donald Hahn & Peter Matz (Courtesy of Project III Recorss, Inc.)
Keeper: Henry Edward O'Neil III
Album Design: Corporate Head
Art Director: Tom Wilkes
Photography: Guy Webster
This album is also available on Stereo Tapes. Write for free 4-Color A&M record catalogue. A&M Records 1416 North LaBrea Ave, Hollywood, CA 90028

I'd say Ms. Minnelli's stately reading of Randy Newman's "The Debutante's Ball" is the best pick here...

It's all I've really ever heard, and on Family Portrait, though I've also had the Liza Minnelli Foursider set...

Although some of the songs are a bit intriguing such as The Beatles' "For No One" and "You'd Better Sit Down, Kids" penned by Sonny Bono and making its first heard rendition by Cher... "(The Tragedy of) Butterfly McHeart" was written by Peter Allen, whom Liza married...

Newman's bittersweet satire gets another couple of hits on "So Long, Dad" and "Happyland" and Ms. Minnelli's well-versed but sometimes pasty vocal seems to be the best vehicle for it...

And the Ebb/Kander compositions, "Married" and "The Happy Time", (and "My Coloring Book", which Liza would later do) work just as much as well...

A still-strong foothold in '60's Cabaret Theater Pop which A&M in the form of Minnelli, Claudine Longet and Robin Wilson would still make its specialty...

Dave

Though she had yet to attain far-reaching measures of acclaim, from a purely entertainer perspective, Minnelli may have been the most world-renown international personality that A&M signed in the 1960s. Am not sure how well her A&M LPs sold, but no doubt her 1970s fame is what likely fueled the 4-sider issue.

I don't like her singing style (and that goes for Robin Wilson, Tammy Grimes, et al.); but I wouldn't include Claudine in that group: Ms. L is a "vocalist" through and through -- as opposed to a being a "singer" which better characterizes the former group.

(Interestingly, the LP leads off with the same two songs that lead off side two of Harper's Bizarre's debute LP from '67.)

Many times I've been tempted to buy one of her A&M albums. I don't know much about her except that her style seems to be somewhat exaggerated and over the top... theatrical, I guess. I did hear one tune years back, a ballad, that was not forced and actually came out quite nice.

Could someone please tell me if her A&M stuff is all "over the top" or if there is an album where she uses some restraint and gentleness in her vocals? ...thanks

I would recommend the Liza Minnelli Foursider to get a good overview of her A&M output. Of the five artists who got a "Four Sider" Ms Minelli had the fewest A&M albums to her credit -- only four (compared to TJB's 14 (at that point), BMB's 10, B66's 7 and Sandpiper's half dozen. So her "Four Sider" contains 50% of her A&M recordings.

I've often wondered why other A&M acts did NOT get the "Four Sider" treatment, especially since many had more albums than Liza. But I've considered Phil Ochs' Chords Of Fame to be the Phil Ochs Foursider...

--Mr. Bill

Mr Bill said:
I would recommend the Liza Minnelli Foursider to get a good overview of her A&M output. Of the five artists who got a "Four Sider" Ms Minelli had the fewest A&M albums to her credit -- only four (compared to TJB's 14 (at that point), BMB's 10, B66's 7 and Sandpiper's half dozen. So her "Four Sider" contains 50% of her A&M recordings.

I've often wondered why other A&M acts did NOT get the "Four Sider" treatment, especially since many had more albums than Liza. But I've considered Phil Ochs' Chords Of Fame to be the Phil Ochs Foursider...

--Mr. Bill

When I saw this I thought, "Good luck finding that CD". I few years ago I was trying to track it down and the only ones I could find were on eBay and they were going for more than I wanted to pay. Well, after reading Mr. Bill's advice I was compelled to do a search and to my surprise I found a few used ones on Amazon for cheap! I ordered one for about 6 bucks and it arrived today -- in great shape, too!

I know that Liza is not everyone’s cuppa, but I like her. And, this old A&M Foursider disk sounds pretty darn good.

Good advice, Bill, even though it wasn't intended for me, I've benefited from it. Thanks.

Mike

Mr Bill's old pal Yokosuka Mike said:
Good advice, Bill, even though it wasn't intended for me, I've benefited from it. Thanks.

My pleasure! In hindsight I kind of wish I'd nabbed that Liza The Complete A&M Recordings CD we saw at the Yokohama HMV!

--Mr Bill

Back
Top Bottom