Long-Overdue Concert Review--Johnny Mathis in Knoxville

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Forgot to tell yous--!!!

Almost a week ago in Knoxville, Johnny Mathis was performing with the Knoxville Symphony Orchestra at the Civic Autotorium.

Motored down there and saw him not just performing, but before and after the show!

He stayed at the hotel next to the autorium--at least that's what seeing him checking in suggested--and I got his autograph then, outside the hotel and after the show in the hotel lobby.

A certain Cornerite, LP Jim, joined me in the festivities, or let's say, he invited ME and let me know Johnny was there! :wink:

Dave

...Announcing a Real Swell A&M Get-Together, Online... :wink:

P.S. Here's The Song List--Wrote down what he was singing (my seat was next to a WALL :laugh: ) and bought a program with some of the songs on it he sang that night (22 in All!).

1. MISTY

CHANCES ARE

THE TWELFTH OF NEVER

WONDERFUL, WONDERFUL

DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES

MOON RIVER

LET ME BE THE ONE (Paul Williams Song!)

LOVERS IN NEW YORK

AND HER MOTHER CAME TO

LIVE FOR LIFE

BAUBLES, BANGLES & BEADS

BRASIL

MANHA DE CARNIVAL

HOW INSENSITIVE

WILD IS THE WIND

A CERTAIN SMILE

STARDUST

99 MILES FROM L.A.

YOU MAKE ME FEEL BRAND NEW

ALL IN THE GAME

SKYLARK

LONG AGO AND FAR AWAY

I've been keeping an eye out for this post, mostly to know DW got home safe and sound. This was indeed great fun, not to mention the honor of meeting this distinguished artist in person. Mr. Mathis is in amazing shape for a guy of age 68, to which a 22-song setlist and the sight of him sprinting to his limo while pulling his own luggage would attest.

While he appeared to enjoy mingling with the small post-show group for whom he signed autographs in the lobby, I noticed he hardly spoke at all. Probably giving his vocal chords a well-deserved rest.

For the occasion I brought along a copy of the 1958 release JOHNNY'S GREATEST HITS -- which had a 10+ year run in the Billboard Top 200 and held the record until Pink Floyd's DARK SIDE OF THE MOON surpassed it (13 years). DW, never one to overlook important session credits, had on hand a Mathis album recorded at A&M Studios.

For DW and any other regulars who might be in the vicinity, Burt Bacharach is scheduled to conduct the KSO for 2 evenings early next year, on Friday March 12 and Saturday March 13. If all goes as planned, I'll be camping out near the venue as much as possible that weekend. If there are any changes I'll let you know.
JB

NP: Johnny Mathis "Misty" from HEAVENLY (1959 Columbia LP)

Fingers are crossed that Burt Bacharach remains in good health and the shows will go on. I missed the opportunity to see him here--found out too late to buy decent tickets, and nosebleed seats were outrageously priced. (Poor promotion again, as usual.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom