🔊 Audio Lost and Found Sounds (our alternate YouTube channel)

Rudy

¡Que siga la fiesta!
Staff member
Site Admin
Our companion YouTube channel for music uploads is called Lost and Found Sounds, featuring albums with no digital release, or with a very limited digital release that is obscure, difficult and usually expensive to purchase. So far, a dozen needle drops are uploaded to the channel, and I'll post the new ones here as they are added. Uploads of A&M titles are found on our A&M Corner YouTube channel.

My upload earlier this week was the Pete Jolly: Hello, Jolly! album, which is linked in our Jazz Corner.

Tonight's upload is a Xavier Cugat recording from 1958: The King Plays Some Aces. Nothing musically groundbreaking here for Cugat--just your typical instrumental album from RCA with a Latin American twist to it. Notable are the two covers of songs from The Nutcracker, and a cover of a Perez Prado hit, "Mambo No. 5". This was the $1.20 record I purchased to fill out an order, and it was in better condition than graded, and used 1S/1S stampers. There was no reissue of this title by RCA.

Last edited:
A new feature of Lost and Found Sounds is going to be Twelve-Inch Tuesdays, where I'll release a 12-inch single at 12:00 PM local time. It's not a Tuesday, but I uploaded the inaugural single this afternoon. The next two Tuesday singles are already scheduled, with more to come shortly.

One unique thing I am doing is posting both sides of the single, where most videos only include the A side. The B-sides are usually instrumental versions, single versions, an album track, or a past hit.

I will still do album uploads to that channel as well, and might schedule different genres on different days. If I add to the schedule, I'll post it here. I have at least 200 twelve-inch singles, so it's a good excuse to finally digitize them and get the lesser-known singles out to the public.

A&M 12-inch singles may get a periodic Twelve-Inch Tuesday on the A&M Corner channel as I come across them.

Thanks for doing this. I'm currently listening to Dory Caymmi's version of "O Mar E Meu Chao (The Sea is My Soil)," and enjoying it immensely. It's fun comparing his original melody with the way Herb Alpert changed it up for his own version. (I think Herb improved on it, but I love the atmospheric quality of Dory's version.)

Two I transferred late last night.

Chico O'Farrill's Married Well. A fiery big-band Latin jazz recording on Verve that has never been reissued digitally except for a Japan CD release in 1999. Interesting that the second track on the album is Edu Lobo's "Reza."

And here is the full stereo LP of The Pete Jolly Trio's Little Bird. The trio features Chuck Berghofer (bass) and Larry Bunker (drums), with "Friends" being the great Howard Roberts (guitar) and Kenny Hume (percussion).

The current CD version is a mix of mono and stereo versions, is likely from a needledrop, and probably has a lot of noise reduction and EQ applied since it is so bright. This LP was not well mastered (I have two different pressings, and both sound nearly identical, almost as though it's recorded under a blanket), but it was probably Jolly's biggest seller due to the hit title track on this album. Unfortunately both "Near Mint" copies were "VG" at best, but the SugarCube cleaned up just about all of the noise.

Last edited:
And the last one of the batch--Dan Hartman's overlooked 1981 LP It Hurts to Be in Love, a pop music recording that marked a shift from his string of dance club hits on his prior two albums. He would pursue a similar style on his 1984 recording I Can Dream About You.

Yesterday's Twelve-Inch Tuesday release was Twennynine featuring Lenny White.

Today's is the Cal Tjader Warm Wave album, which had no digital release. The LP was in good, but not perfect, condition. But plenty good enough for YouTube.

Today's is the 10-inch Epic LP Moondog and His Friends. While I don't know who his "friends" are (none were listed on the jacket), this is one of the rarest items in my collection. I bought this back in the early 2000s from eBay, where most copies were going for $150 (I sniped it for ~$75).

It's had a digital release in recent years, along with a vinyl reissue, but from samples I've heard, it sounds as though they were made from a needle drop and cleaned up with a heavy dose of digital noise reduction, which dulled the sound and gave it an odd quality. My copy isn't perfect, but it has almost no ticks on it and the SugarCube had little work to do. I may redo this needle drop again after another round of cleaning but for now, it's sounding good.

The greatest album you've never heard! Henri René, Riot in Rhythm.

OK, perhaps not. 🤣

This is typical easy listening from the late 50s/early 60s, which borrows a few gimmicks from the Esquivel palette. Uploaded due to rarity...and I'm sticking to that story. 😁 It's not badly performed or arranged, but it is terribly dated. This was music your rich uncle played on his expensive Hi-Fi system. A time capsule of its era, perhaps. It does live up to the hype on its jacket: "Man, It Swings!" I guess. 😁

It was one of those cheap record bin finds back in the 90s when Esquivel and RCA Living Stereo popular LPs were all the rage.

Above the label "badge" back in their old Living Stereo golden era (approx. 1957-62) RCA used to include their own LP hype... This one states, "MAN, IT SWINGS!" -- and indeed, it does. One of my childhood favourites, I scored a very nice copy of this wonderful LP about 5 years ago.

I've been meaning to collect a list of those phrases. Just looking up on my wall here in the room, the Mr. Lucky album cover says "Sounds of TV." Tito Puente's Dancing under Latin Skies says "Latin Dances." Mancini's The Blues and The Beat is "Two Moods," and The Mancini Touch claims to "Swing Softly." Perez Prado's Pops and Prado claims "A Latin Goes American." (Yet my other Prado LPs have no hype, aside from Big Hits by Prado which says "New Arrangements.") Shorty Rogers was honored with "Swinging Big Band" for The Wizard of Oz and Other Harold Arlen Songs, and "For Jazz Buffs" on the album Chances Are It Swings. Stanley Wilson's The Music from 'M Squad' also says "Sounds of TV" (but without the commercials, naturally).

Also...MIRACLE❇SURFACE.

If you want to create the soundtrack for a nightmare sequence, hit the Play button on all the videos in this thread at the same time. 🤣

I've been meaning to collect a list of those phrases.
Here's a few I can add:
  • Dick Schory / Music to Break Any Mood -- Featuring The World's Biggest Gong
  • The Belafonte Folk Singers / Cheers! -- Drinking Songs From Around The World
  • The Limeliters / Tonight: In Person -- Recorded Here And Now
  • The Limeliters / Sing Out! -- Fun Folk-Fest
  • Norman Luboff / This Is Norman Luboff -- The Greatest Choir Ever!
  • Al Hirt / Horn A-Plenty -- Trumpet Spectacular

Posted last week is the self-titled album Tjader. This was Cal's return to Fantasy after a brief stint at the ill-fated Skye Records.

It's a covers album, and notable for A&M-ers is the inclusion of Julius Wechter's "Fresh Air" which opens side two (at 20:37 in the video). Cal's youngest brother Curry Tjader was a member of the Baja Marimba Band.

A new arrival at Casa Rudy--the 7-inch EP Play by The Humans.

This was released on I.R.S. Records, which at the time was distributed by A&M. I lucked out in finding a sealed copy of this record for only $5. (I've seen sealed copies $20 and up.) @Mr Bill knows about this one...

Last edited:
Thanks Rudy for posting the BMB "Yes SIr, That's My Baby" to the A&M YouTube channel. I hadn't heard this recording in 54 years way back in 1968.

Thanks Rudy for posting the BMB "Yes SIr, That's My Baby" to the A&M YouTube channel. I hadn't heard this recording in 54 years way back in 1968.
I grabbed that single a couple of weeks ago--it was cheap enough, and I added it to an order with a couple of other titles I wanted. 👍 I keep an eye out for rarities that don't cost much, but I don't buy much that is A&M-related. I do have another to upload, a somewhat obscure 12-inch single, which I'll try to get to in the next few days.

It's Grab Bag Thursday on Lost and Found Sounds.

Perez Prado had a huge Billboard #1 hit with "Cherry Pink and Apple Blossom White." A few years later, he followed it up with the hit "Patricia." Hits eluded him past that point and, after bringing the mambo to the US, he dabbled in other rhythms in an attempt to start a new Latin dance craze (news flash--he didn't). He also followed musical trends of the day, which is how this album Now! Twist Goes Latin came into being. Needless to say, it wasn't all that successful either, even though it included a couple of remakes of earlier hits. An interesting relic from the depths of RCA Victor.

Note--the track "Cachita - Twist (Oyeme)" was removed from the video for copyright issues.

Last edited:
Jazz Saturdays at Lost and Found Sounds. 🎶

A various artists LP from RCA, circa 1955, featuring a dozen different versions of George Shearing's "Lullaby of Birdland." This features a who's who of jazz artists, including Pete Jolly's group on the third track, the Shorty Rogers/Andre Previn Orchestra, and a young Quincy Jones leading his mid-50s big band.

Last edited:
Tim weisberg did a cover version of "Ballad of the whale" on his 1997 CD "Undercover" that was the first time I heard the song I heard the Yellowjackets version later so I like Both versions equally.