• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Love Music

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brasil_Nut

Staff member
Something hit me as I drove along listening to Love Music the other day. The change in sound (from Pais Tropical and Primal Roots) seems to be attributed to two things: the inclusion of vocalist Bonnie Bowden and Sergio's touring band. Let me explain...

Anyone who has heard Sergio's live albums from the Love Music era can attest to the fact that what you heard on record was pretty much what you heard on stage. As such, the album was basically Sergio's (then current) touring band with strings attached (literally). Bones Howe had a much different approach to recording Sergio than Herb did (or Sergio himself for that matter) during the A&M era. Sergio's A&M studio albums differed greatly from what you heard on stage. Not to say that Brasil '66 wasn't a talented and sensational act -- they were. It's just that live, they were a simpler version of what you heard on record. Live, the sound was based on Sergio's piano, Lani & Karen's vocals, etc. In the studio, they were surrounded by moog pianos, strings and various other production elements which produced a much richer sound. Love Music is much closer to what you actually heard on stage.

Just a thought. I know Sergio went in another direction when he left A&M. That's a given. There has been a great deal of talk around here lately about Sergio's change in sound beginning with Love Music. When I returned home from my car ride the other day, I listened to Carnival Live followed by Love Music, then Fool On The Hill followed by Live At The Expo '70. In comparison, the first two albums strongly resembled one another in sound; the two A&M albums did not -- there was a distinct difference.

Any thoughts? :wink:

Jon

...comparing '66s & '77s as opposed to apples and oranges, online...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom