LP/jacket mix ups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
I found this artice on the web relating to mix-ups in the manufacturing process of various types of media. Down in the middle of it there's a paragraph about Herb going to a record store to buy a copy of one of Lani's albums.

http://www.tapediscbusiness.com/issues/2001/0201/0201tdb03.htm

It would have been nice, if in an article about mix-ups, that the author would have spelled "Lani" correctly!

Harry
...who has a Carole King album with a blank label on one side, online...

Harry said:
I found this artice on the web relating to mix-ups in the manufacturing process of various types of media. Down in the middle of it there's a paragraph about Herb going to a record store to buy a copy of one of Lani's albums.

Herb actually BOUGHT a copy of Lani's album in a record store? I would have thought that, as co-owner of A&M, he would have been given a copy of all the albums they released for free! :confused:

Murray
... who has a Manhattan Transfer LP with the "Side One" label on BOTH sides...

I found that a bit curious too. Perhaps he was doing a spot-check. Or maybe he figured to give the album a boost in sales by 1 copy! Or maybe he wanted it as a gift for someone...but then why would he have opened it?

Harry
...finding that whole scenario rather amusing, online...

Two mixups: Baja Marimba Band's Those Were The Days. Finally found a sealed copy. Got it home, opened it, and out comes CLaudine Longet's Colours. Not even in a sleeve! But that LP was also new and unplayed...so I didn't worry about the $4 I spent on it.

CD mixup: I bought Robert Plant's Now and Zen. Hmmm...this one is quite mellow for Robert Plant. In fact, the second track is an exact clone of Steve Winwood's hit "While You See A Chance". Checked later, and I'd actually Winwood's Arc Of A Diver...with Robert Plant on the CD label and in the correct jewel box. No problem with a return on that one! :wink:

There was a rumored mixup in the early 80's when a Glenn Miller CD got mixed up with a Sex Pistols. I bet the looks would have been priceless.

You'd be surprised how the "promo" situation works. I wanted to get a copy of Jimmy Haslip's Red Heat CD to put on his website. I waited a few weeks...nothing...then it finally comes in the mail. Jimmy writes a week later that he had to go out and BUY a copy of his own CD to send to me, since whoever was doing the promotion never sent him any. (They normally get a handful of their own releases, but this was a newer, small label.)

...and we know firsthand that people like Claudio Slon and Dom Um Romao never got copies of some of their releases, and have relied on fans like us to get them some of the more obscure titles.

Harry
...wondering if Herb has copies of all that "Dore" stuff, online...

Sometimes the sidemen do get left out. Guest appearances...most likely they wouldn't automatically receive a copy. But if they're part of the band, I see no reason why they shouldn't get at least one copy of it.

Cal Tjader didn't end up with many of his own LPs, but that was due to his kind, giving nature--if a guest at his home liked a recording, he'd give it to him or her. A local record dealer and Cal Tjader collector (Danny at Solo Records up in Birmingham, MI) supposedly *gave* his entire collection to Tjader's widow when she realized she didn't have a lot of what her late husband had recorded.

That does suggest something else--some of these artists may have given away their own promo copies, thinking that they would be available forever to get a copy of at a later time. But as we've found out in the past few decades, if you see it *now*, buy it *now*, or you may never see it again.

Back in the 8 track days, we got two copies of Carole King's WRAP AROUND JOY" tape that actually contained the T.J.B.'s YOU SMILE-THE SONG BEGINS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom