• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Madonna and John Bettis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

andywithaz

I was burning my Immaculate Collection CD to Windows Media Player when I noticed a familiar name beside Crazy For You. John Bettis wrote the lyrics. Hmmm

Is this the same Carpenters' John Bettis?

Yep, same guy, raz. He also co-wrote "Human Nature" for Michael Jackson's "Thriller". Do a check on him in allmusic.com. You'll be amazed how busy he's been since Karen's passing.

Ed

If memory serves me right, he also co-wrote The Pointer Sisters' "Slow Hand". "Crazy for You"'s my favorite of his non-Carpenters tunes, though! That song is just so flat-out gorgeous! I don't think any of the ballads Madonna's put out since have come anywhere close to topping it!

Jeff F.

I've heard he has been active as a lyricist working out of Nashville in recent years. If he's with ASCAP or BMI, you can check with their databases online to list the songs he has written or co-written.

I forgot about all the country stuff. He's written lyrics for George Strait and Billy Ray Cyrus as well. He's been absolutely everywhere!

Ed

John Bettis has also written ONE MOMENT IN TIME for Whitney Houston, and he wrote WHEN YOU TELL ME THAT YOU LOVE ME for Diana Ross, which went to No.2 in the UK single charts in 1991.

In the 80s, he wrote some songs for Barry Manilow, but they weren't hits.

Bruno

Curiously, though, his lyrics were never better than they were when he was writing for Karen. I remember in their book that, shortly after Karen died, he'd often find himself scribbling ideas on napkins and then shoving them away, realizing that they were "Karen" ideas...

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom