• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

🎵 AotW Maiden Australia - MAIDEN AUSTRALIA (SP-4952)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
Maiden Australia
MAIDEN AUSTRALIA

A&M SP-4952

sp4952.jpg

A1–Split EnzNext Exit 3:39
A2–Expression, TheNothing Changes 4:27
A3–Mental As AnythingClose Again 2:57
A4–SkyhooksWomen In Uniform 3:30
A5–Runners (2)Endlessly 3:45
A6–Renee GeyerSay I Love You 3:23
B1–Jo Jo ZepTaxi Mary 4:17
B2–Wendy & The Rockets*Security 3:43
B3–MachinationsPressure Sway 4:03
B4–D.D. Smash*Outlook For Thursday 4:07
B5–SunnyboysDiscipline 3:10
B6–Hunters & CollectorsLumps Of Lead 4:09

Compilation album released in 1983
Compiled by Michael Gudinski

JB

One of my favorite compilations from A&M. This one sampled tunes form their "Oz" imprint which featured bands from down under. This at a time when Men At Work led the music industry to think there was a major untapped market and pool of talent there. Which there was, but such talent was not reflected on the charts aside from the aforementioned Men At Work and some minor success from A&M act Split Enz (who later evolved into the more successful Crowded House).

I pretty much bought everything with the Oz imprint and liked most of it. The Hunters & Collectors cut here is not their best but their A&M/Oz LP and later releases on I.R.S. Records are pretty darn good. Check out the video of "Talking To A Stranger" on You Tube -- the band were also filmmakers who did their own videos. Wild stuff.

My favorite cuts on this LP are "Say I Love You" by Renee Geyer (which is the most out of place artist -- she is more of a pop standard singer -- while the rest are more or less Aussie/NZ New Wave/Alternative acts), "Women In Uniform" by Skyhooks (another somewhat out of place straight-ahead rocker) and "Pressure Sway" by Machinations (the 12" versions are strikingly unique). I've always enjoyed Split Enz and Mental As Anything, but these cuts are largely throwaways (no offense to my fellow 'Frenz of the Enz' -- I know "Next Exit" was a hit down under -- it's just not their best).

Some of these can be sampled on You Tube...

--Mr Bill

I have seen this album listed as 'SP 4986' as well, so we will move forward with AOTW to the next number.

JB

Men at Work did seem to be more popular enough to have detracted a number of listeners of underground Australian rock music fans, otherwise into this sort of field...

I agree, the Split Endz and Mental As Anything tracks deserve better, but, still a good ploy to get the other artists and groups from Down Under, more deserved attention...

An enjoyable sample of the run of Australia's then-current crop of solid, honest new-wave...

-- Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom