Mandolin

Status
Not open for further replies.

rogerlouis

I love the sound of the mandolin on Herb's early records. Does anyone know who played the mandolin on those albums? On "It Was A Very Good Year" the mandolin was used. There is a also a high pitched sound on that track that I believe to be violins- Am I correct?

I've always understood that Pisano could play mandolin but on the recordings it was most often Tommy Tedesco. Can't recall where I heard that, but it's stuck in the ol' grey matter...

--Mr Bill

rogerlouis said:
I love the sound of the mandolin on Herb's early records. Does anyone know who played the mandolin on those albums? On "It Was A Very Good Year" the mandolin was used. There is a also a high pitched sound on that track that I believe to be violins- Am I correct?

Herb used a lot of orchestrations to accompany the Brass...Shorty Rogers orchestrated some, as did Peter Matz. Shorty is credited with the orchestrations on the WARM album, as well as the CHRISTMAS ALBUM...it's likely that he did more than those; and Matz is credited with the orchestration on CARMEN. Dave Grusin did YOU ARE MY LIFE on THE BRASS ARE COMIN', and Shorty did GOOD MORNING MR. SUNSHINE...

This begs the question: who did the orchestrations on the TJB albums? I always figured it was either Herb or Shorty...but I don't know.

Dan

On the first two albums (LONELY BULL, VOLUME 2), it was Ervan "Bud" Coleman, who also played guitar and mandolin on the first few Baja Marimba Band albums. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom